Genave to near Albacete - Trains, World Cup and Ashes - CycleBlaze

May 6, 2019

Genave to near Albacete

last rail trail in southern Spain

My final rail trail in southern Spain was towards Albacete on a former rail line that went between Linares and Albacete. However the first half of the rail right of way has not become a rail trail yet as far as I believe. Therefore by going via a national park I was able to avoid cycling on a highway before the rail trail starts. I joined the rail trail about 30kms from where it becomes a rail trail so missed a small part of the rail trail.

last night camping spot, smelt of sheep
Heart 0 Comment 0

I found the sections I did was essentially 4 different experiences. The first part was a wide trail mostly cycling through cuttings on a good gravel surface through cereal farm land with crops still green. Former railway station sites have not been looked after with some being used by farmers as shelter for sheep or farming equipment, at last nights stop at Genave it smelt like a shearing shed. Even when I crossed from the Jaen region to Albacete region I didn’t notice any change other than the kilometre markers changed direction, now it was counting down and slight change in information boards. Was flying along making good time seeing some nice red rocks near Reolid when suddenly after going through a tunnel the trail suddenly stops. 

Map on the rail trail showing various former railway lines in Spain
Heart 0 Comment 0
former railway station, now packed with sheep, not the best smell
Heart 0 Comment 0
one of many tunnels for the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
sad to see railway stations in such a terrible condition
Heart 0 Comment 0
cycling through farm land
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reolid, rail trail ends randomly here for a while
Heart 0 Comment 0
random end of rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

No idea why trail hasn’t been converted yet so was forced onto highway for the next 10kms to Alcazar. From highway I could see rail right of way still has ballast is over grown with plants and bridges are missing. The Alcazar railway station was fenced off and looked abounded.

Andres had recommend visiting Alcazar and it was the only town I could find with a supermarket until another 50kms away so went in despite some climbing to get there. The town square looked nice and the hill had castle ruins but couldn’t find any particular point of interest so obtained some groceries and set off trying to find the start of the rail trail. 

Alcazar town square, not sure why I didn't take anymore photos of the scenic town
Heart 1 Comment 0

Despite the greenway signs taking me past a rail tunnel we didn’t use it and it wasn’t until 5kms after leaving Alcazar I was finally able to rejoin the rail trail. Unlike the morning this section of the rail trail was more hilly and we followed a river but instead of cruising around the hills we would go through them in numerous tunnels possibly 20 as some where numbered but I lost count in the end. Initially long tunnels had sensor lights but further on they had not been installed so had to use my iPhone light as my bicycle light is still in Madrid with my other delayed gear. 

crossing highway, rail trail turns left and goes through tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
landscape changes once through tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
had to divert away from rail trail because of a quarry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
km markers on the trail all the time
Heart 0 Comment 0

Near the town of El Jardin there were gates across the trail and a few more further on, not sure if that was to keep out motorised traffic or me. In this section with in the gates there had been small landslides, tunnels didn’t have lights and in one place a shallow 10m long puddle crossed the trail, so took my shoes off and enjoyed a refreshing walk through water on a semi warm day. Occasionally was forced off the rail right of way because of private property with in one place a quarry operating and in others not sure why.

Gate was here but I went through anyway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
no lights in tunnel
Heart 0 Comment 0
On a warm day this was fun walking bike through water
Heart 1 Comment 0

Near the town of Balazote was forced off the trail so took the opportunity to get some supplies for dinner and when I tried to return to the trail found it had changed to a flat gravel path through irrigation farm land and was not very interesting and for some reason between 28 and 26km posts was directed of the trail to ride away and then nearly straight back to the trail seeming not avoiding anything, can only assume a farmer not wanting people to got through. 

Enjoyed these signs in Spain, centre part of Balazote
Heart 1 Comment 0
former rail bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
on top of same former rail bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
flat cycling route in evening
Heart 0 Comment 0

I could have continued all the way to the city of Albacete but since I hadn’t planned on making it that far and hadn’t organised any where to stay, decided to stop 10kms short and camp at the former San Jorge station which had a picnic table with shelter but no water. On this rail trail it was a lottery, some former stations and towns had water fountains others didn’t, none had toilets.

Today's ride: 113 km (70 miles)
Total: 1,175 km (730 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0