Gien: The antique fair - A Miraculous Tour Around France and Germany - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2017

Gien: The antique fair

The sky was clear when we woke. The wet gear from yesterday was largely dry and the forecast for a sunny day with temperatures in the mid twenties. In other words an ideal day for cycling and we set off in high good humour. We feel so fortunate that we are able to do this as it is indeed a special time for us. We only had a little over 50km to ride to Gien where we had had such difficulty finding any accommodation. The hotel had told us the room was small, it had no wifi and was not in the main hotel but in an annex so we were prepared. It certainly was very cheap.

We got bread in Chateauneuf and Ken had a good supply of cheese from yesterdays Super U. The route today was often by the river on the banks, mostly a good surface and the wind predominantly behind us. There were the usual great crops of maize plus many vegetables including a huge field of beetroot. Only a very few cattle today but a herd of Frisians just before Gien.

Our coffee was in Sully sur Loire where we saw what will be the last of the Loire Chateaus. Lunch was on a shaded seat beside a small lake in St Florent. From there it was a pretty easy ride to Gien. The antique show is on by the river as it was the first time we came this way. The hotel is beside it and much better than expected.

After the usual clean up we explored the antique market. I found a lovely Limoges vegetable dish. It was among some bargains for 5E. The pattern is Royal Garland one produced at the beginning of the 20th century. Now how stupid would it be to buy a larg bit of fine china to carry on a bike then back home. The answer is very stupid. It was in perfect order. We walked away from it but not very far then back to get it. We have washed it up and have been working out how we will carry it. It is not very heavy but fairly bulky and of course fragile.

Meanwhile we have just seen on French TV that the Allblacks have beaten the Wallabies. Trump has sacked Bannon

A typical Loire boat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saturday is a great day for fishermen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tending her garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sully sur Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not a Chateau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty houses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beetroot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunchtime
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice garde
Heart 0 Comment 0
To carry the trains across the Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gien across the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Too big to take home
Heart 0 Comment 0
And even bigger
Heart 0 Comment 0
Look what I found
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to take home!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 764 km (474 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Mike AylingThe Wallabies -given that they come in fourth for participation numbers behind Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Soccer I am amazed that they do so well.

Mike
Reply to this comment
3 years ago