Berry Gordy’s Lonely Teardrops - The Midwest Triangle - 2023 Summer - CycleBlaze

July 5, 2023

Berry Gordy’s Lonely Teardrops

DAY TEN 

Heart 2 Comment 0

Tracy and Michael drove me down to Lansing Woods so I could head towards St Louis on the Red Paved trail. The first thing that happens when I round a corner is a man standing there with a pit bull on like a 20’ leash. He doesn’t retract it at all. I slow down and the dog alerts. I pass and the dog goes for me, all the while the dude is smiling and almost laughing as he begins to holler woah woah woah. I make it by but honestly I’m pretty pissed. I wish people had a little more empathy for cyclists, especially when they are dog walking and driving. That dog was a loaded gun on the path luckily with the safety on. Dangerous. Strange enough a half mile later there were shell casings all over the path. Someone took the safety off. The path opened up after that and my lesson was to always keep awareness front and center.

Once I made it to Old Plank Trail it was pretty easy sailing. I hit a few towns for bananas and apples and I was on my way. The road crossing are numerous but well signed with a generally good line of sight.
Frankfurt is a wonderful bicycle friendly city and I wouldn’t mind coming back. I sat underneath their pavilion as a storm blew over and cooked up some noodles. After the rain I rode the bike path that runs through town. The sun was blazing again and steam rose from the freshly paved asphalt. The grasses and trees were greener. The world was fresh again.

Weather alert. Thunderstorms may be severe. The Old Plank Trail begins in Joliet and on the map it shows a gazebo. I think that I’ll ride this next storm out there, but when I arrive the shelter is about 6x4. I passed a big overhang on a building a quarter mile back so I retrace my route and when I return the sheriff is sitting there. I roll up and it’s two younger officers and they look at me like I better not ask for anything. I tell them I’m going to hang here for the front line of the storm. They ask me if it’s going to rain and after I say, yeah, they leave. I realize I can make it to a McDonald’s and go for it. Awkward.

The winds whip trash from the parking lot into a frenzy and the rain pelts the picture windows near my table. I have gear inside with me but Fanchon is at the mercy of the storm. The place is busy and a string of Motown hits come one after another at a volume way out of line for norms. I’m trying to figure out how I can get a grimace shake without buying the full meal. I do this for nearly an hour and a half, nursing six nuggets and a blue Fanta freeze. 

Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s time to move. The weather channel stays red with warnings and the only hotel worth getting to has a casino and an additional resort fee because of it. Stealth for me.

Outside in the rain it’s at least still warm. The sun is nearly expired though and I need 8 miles to the spot. When I get there I’m drenched and tired and there’s no specific place for me in all this darkness. I pitch behind a trail sign and climb into the tent soaking wet. No worries. I carry a small towel and before long I am comfy in my digs and sleeping to the music of frogs, falling rain and the hoots of great birds somewhere beneath these clouds.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 354 miles (570 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0