Tournus to Beaune - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2023

Tournus to Beaune

In the morning we continued up the Saône river bike path; well-marked, flat, peaceful countryside, what's not to love about this?  To be honest, although it is relaxing, already we were slightly bored with the bike path, so at Chalon, when the Voie Bleue turns east to follow the river, we kept going north towards Beaune and Dijon.  We did ask ourselves why we wanted to go to these cities, and apart from someone we briefly met telling us it was wonderful, neither of us could come up with any compelling reason, still we decided on the spot, put Beaune into the GPS and headed off.

What a fabulous decision!  After a few km by the canal, we soon discovered that we were on the Voie des Vignes, an alternative cycling route on small roads through gorgeous vineyards and villages.  This was the Burgandy touring we imagined.  Yes, it was much hillier than the river route and it was not as well marked so we took a few wrong turns and had to pay attention to stay on route, but the extra exertions were amply  rewarded with such a variety of lovely views.  Or does it seem more rewarding because it takes more effort?  
Besides, after Dijon we will be back on the river route all the way to Germany.

Great bike path along the Saone River floodplain.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Full panniers add to the challenge of navigating around the car barriers on the bike path
Heart 1 Comment 0
Icons of French culture, side by side in Challon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More swans.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fearless heron let me come right up before flying away.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
ann and steve maher-wearyThat’s our bird pic for the trip, we can’t come close to Scott’s bird shots!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The canal out of Chalon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The locks are still in service but there were only a very few pleasure boats on the waterway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aren't we lucky: it turns out this is a bike route!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up and away from the canal to get perspective of the land.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting thirsty.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraGrand Cru territory!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
The route mostly followed small roads like this one where we encountered more cyclists than cars and tractors.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraHa ha. Susanna and I have this same shot at the exact same place!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyIt is beautiful countryside!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Note that we started riding in Tournus but neglected to turn on the GPS tracking until Chalon. 

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,589 km (987 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Suzanne Gibson"To be honest, although it is relaxing, already we were slightly bored with the bike path"... I so agree!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kirsten KaarsooWe found the same thing. We are really enjoying our trip of hills and dales at the moment
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Susan CarpenterLa Voie des Vignes was the kindling that ignited my love of touring. I’ve been there three times and never tire of the vineyards of the Côte de Beaune
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearySusan, three times! But I understand why, it’s so beautiful. We will have to go again too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Kirsten KaarsooYou are not doing hills or dales, it’s the mountains of the Pyrenees! Way to go!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Suzanne GibsonYes the routes you chose with Scott and Rachel ethos week were amazing!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago