Port Lauragais to Carcassonne - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2023

Port Lauragais to Carcassonne

Heart 0 Comment 0

Day 2:  A mixed day of cycle touring with a few downs but more than enough ups to compensate.  The day started fine with partial cloud, no wind and campsite coffee in Steve's super-insulated Bodum cup.  Packed and on the bikes by 10am, we rejoined the canal path for a few minutes to Port Lauragais where the pavement ended and we promptly took a wrong turn down a very inviting tree-lined lane.  When we found it, the actual canal path was little more than a dirt track that we endured for a bumpy and muddy kilometre until we were able to turn off.  I then recalled that Rich Frasier had written telling us that the canal path was good to Port Lauragais, but at that time we couldn't find it on the map, so I assumed it was much closer to Carcassonne. Never assume.

Another joy of cycling in France is that we can usually find a series of back roads that wind, more or less, in the right direction so the rest of the day was delightful riding beside fields and through quiet villages, except for a couple of intense stretches on the busy D6113.  After Pezens we rejoined the gravel canal path (and plenty of other cyclists) for the final few km into Carcassonne, navigated through the crowded lanes of the old city and out the other side to Camping de la Cité.  Here cité refers to the fortified town around the castle, which looms over the campsite, rather than the main town which is rather far away.  Still, we found a grocery store, made supper and crawled into the tent, tired and happy.

Who wouldn’t want to ride down such a pretty lane?
Heart 8 Comment 2
Kathleen WearySpectacular photo!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyWish you were here to see it too.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Unlike this, the official canal path.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe have tried the Canal du Midi several times over the years, and find that every time justifies the saying about hope vs experience.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ahh yes, this is what we like, the backroads of France!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Lyle McLeodThey are lovely! Bike to car ratio almost always greater than 1
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Lyle McLeodYou could take a chance, we have noticed that some campgrounds sell gaz bleu canisters. Happy riding today!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Plus, there are signs to reassure us that we really are where we think we are.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The busier road into Pezens.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back on the canal path, still gravel but quite rideable into Carcassonne.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Saturday wedding party crossing the old bridge
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 158 km (98 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0