Carcassonne visit - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2023

Carcassonne visit

Toured the town and the castle.  Only rained at the campsite.  Photos tell the story.

Pondering plans for the day over coffee and camping gear. Later that day we received a comment on an earlier blog post complimenting us on being so organized. Here is evidence of the reality. We will get better but for now we can't remember where anything is so we have to unpack all our luggage. The disorganized heaps were even more chaotic after a sudden downpour took us by surprise.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraHa ha...It always takes a few days to get your systems down when touring with camping gear. It's a whole other beast!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Patrick O'HaraYou guys are going to enjoy your first trip without the camping equipment. Your panniers will be so light.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Carcassonne Cathedral. Priest with family and friends getting ready for an afternoon baptism.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Carcassonne Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0
An austere and powerful, modern monument to the soldiers of WWI. The extent of loss in a town the size of Carcassonne is horrific.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Standing on the Pont Vieux with the walls of the citadel of Carcassonne behind us.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Pont Vieux
Heart 4 Comment 0
Basilica of Saints Nazarius. This church was built over several hundred years from the 800s to the 1300s and what makes it rare is the way romanesque and gothic design coexist so comfortably.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Basilica of Saints Nazarius. In the choir, the long central stained glass window is from 1280, and so one of the oldest outside northern France.
Heart 2 Comment 0
La Cité de Carcassonne with it’s labyrinth of walking streets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Château Comtal and Ramparts
Heart 6 Comment 0
Crowds on a beautiful Sunday afternoon with Basilica in background.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Basilica
Heart 3 Comment 0
A formidable gateway to the cité
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 173 km (107 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0