Toulouse to Radel Camping - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2023

Toulouse to Radel Camping

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first day on the road was a definite success.

We were quite comfortable at the Resid-Hotel apartment in Toulouse and I could have stayed longer, but we came to France to cycle so this morning we stuck to the plan, packed up and started riding.  It actually took almost two hours to cram all our belongings into panniers and, miraculously, it all fit, well all except a bag of shoes that had to be bungeed to Ann's rack.  By 10:30 we were on our way, a bit awkward from not being used to fully loaded bikes, but excited that after all the talk, all the plans, all the anticipation, we were riding! 

A series of downtown bike lanes took us quickly to the Canal du Midi where we joined the bike path alongside the waterway.  This path had been described as unrideable because of the roots bumping up through the pavement, but this has been fixed, the surface was smooth all the way to our destination, Avignonet-Lauagais.

Canal riding is pleasant and we chose the route to be easy for a first day out.  The bike path is the old tow path from when barges were pulled by horse so it is right by the water's edge with great views of the tree-lined canal.  We were in heaven and made good time for the first hour but then had to make a detour to a huge shopping mall to get a vital bit of camping gear: a gas cylinder for the cap stove. This being France, the bakery beside the sports store sold a decent baguette and just behind the parking lot we found a nice picnic area for lunch.

Once back on the route, the afternoon low was hitting and we became increasingly aware that, although a canal is overall quite flat, we were constantly climbing just a bit, and that we were heading into a rather strong wind, and that the view of a canal is almost always just water and trees, and the bicycle seats were starting to hurt, so the next two hours were long.  But then there was the sign for camping, we checked in and chose our little pieces of field, set up the tent, had hot showers then prepped pasta and salad for supper.  I'm sure we will sleep well tonight. 

Loaded and ready to go.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great bike path leaving Toulouse
Heart 8 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view of the canal
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
All dressed up for campground eating
Heart 7 Comment 1
Kelly MaherI thought your camping days were over??
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 92 km (57 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraGlad to see you've arrived, and are now on the road! Love the checkered table cloth. A refined and elegant touch. Sue and I also do this when we camp!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Lyle McLeodGood on you for camping right out of the gate! You are also far more organized than us. Reading your post and seeing that you needed to buy a gas canister suddenly lit a light bulb in our heads!! It was on our ‘mental’ list but we haven’t done it yet. Camping was our plan for tonight, but it’s May 1 so our chances of finding an open store is probably low!
Your cycle legs will come back to quickly, great to see you are off to a good start.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago