Aero to Faaborg - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2023

Aero to Faaborg

A relaxed and easy day getting to Faaborg, despite feeling a little bleary from lack of sleep.  

Although the campground was very quiet, this far north in June the nights are short; it was still twilight when we went to bed at midnight and the bright morning light woke us at 6am.  Later, I dug out my eyeshades from deep in the bag and will keep them handy for future nights in the tent.

We easily booked and caught the 10:40 ferry from Soby to Faaborg and for 60 minutes marvelled at the calm sea, the sailboats gliding by and the serene islands of the South Fyn Archipelago along the way.  Faaborg was quiet on a Sunday morning and the hotel we had booked (The Faaborg Faerie, thanks to the Bartletts https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/exploringeurope/faaborg-to-spodsbjerg-no-rain-no-wind-no-traffic-an-idyllic-day-of-cycling-in-denmark/ ) opens for check-in at 2pm.  To fill time, we intended to ride 10km or so down the coast to find a nice beach, but, barely out of town we followed some people down a path into a lovely park with a beach.  There were just enough people -a group that could have been a Sunday School picnic, families, couples, gaggles of teenagers- to be interesting, but not crowded.  So far, we have found the parks in Denmark to be superbly equipped; most have a selection of picnic tables with some in the shade, clean public toilets with cold, potable water to fill our water bottles, and this one was the best yet, having an electric plug-in beside the picnic table!  We sat, assembled and ate our lunch of dark, heavy Danish bread and mild Danish cheese (this is not France) and chatted with our daughter on a Father's Day call.  After a digestion interval, we were hot again and ready to get into the sea for a swim.  The water seemed warmer as we were swimming during the hottest part of the day.   Being only a couple of km back to the hotel, we headed back, checked in and showered there.

Faaborg was still quiet on Sunday evening, but the grocery store was open so we  took an indirect route along the cobblestone streets admiring the quaint houses and then bought ingredients for a big salad.  The rainclouds had threatened again today but this time we stayed dry during the short downpour by being in the grocery store.  Good timing!

Heading out for a relaxed Sunday sail.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Waiting to board. The sailing was sold out for cars, but there was space for bicycles!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aero, as seen from the sea
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming into Faaborg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Picnic in a Faaborg park.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The old houses are so low with small doors, yet the Danes are so tall. Were the people that much shorter 300 years ago or did the often inclement weather influence the architecture?
Heart 1 Comment 0
We could smell these roses walking by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 2,312 km (1,436 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0