Faaborg to Odense - Midtsommer - Mediterranean to the Fjords - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2023

Faaborg to Odense

All was quiet as we left Faaborg on a sunny Monday morning. We cycled past their famous bell tower, down to the docks for one last view of the gorgeous sailboats both old and new before rejoining the Eurovelo 8 and cycling out of town. 

It wasn’t long before we turned off the #8, which continues along the coastline, while we traveled inland on the local 51/55 cycle routes through the centre of Funen Island to its largest city, Odense. 

The forces at work during the last glacial period formed a hill country almost encircling Faaborg, known as the “Alps of Fyn”.  We cycled right through the middle of them. Local lore is that many years ago this area was desolate, overgrown with heather and the townspeople of Faaborg  didn’t like to travel through the area at night and names of places along the way “Hell’s Hollow and Coffin Lid”, reflected their unease of the area.  Today the hills have rolling fields, farms and well-kept forests.  It had rained some during the night so for the first time in weeks as we cycled through a forest, it had heavenly pungent smells emanating from the  ground and leaves.

Out of the Alps of Fyn, we turned onto a perfectly paved rail trail, paused at the spotless bathroom facilities and noted the picnic tables in the village of Korinth. There were few others on the trail as we passed through  Espe, again commenting on the well-appointed bathroom building and covered picnic tables. But it was too soon for a lunch break so we pressed on to the larger centre of Ringe feeling confident that there would be more of these excellent facilities there.  It started to rain lightly, not enough to warrant getting out our raincoats and we were confident that there would be the perfect shelter around the next bend, so we continued on, in and out of Ringe.  By now it was raining and we were hungry for lunch but where were all the lovely picnic spots?   We finally took refuge and ate our lunch in the bike tourer’s dependable friend, the bus shelter. 

With full bellies we continued on to the beautiful centre of Odense and birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, remembered for his “Fairytale” stories.  Odense is another delightful European city which we enjoyed over our two night stay but we are really excited to be here as we are meeting and staying with Steve’s old friends. Geoff and Vicky, their daughter Fiona and her boyfriend Alexandre.  

The bell tower is all that remains of Faaborg’s first church, built around 1250.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just so cute. After the rain the hollyhocks are starting to bloom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Enchanted Forest outside of Faaborg.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraBeauty shot.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The Alps of Fyn, is this Hell’s Hollow, Coffin Lid or Thief’s Button?
Heart 3 Comment 0
This bathroom’s floor was still damp from it’s morning cleaning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally, let’s eat!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Lyle McLeodPretty nice spread … even for a bus shelter ;)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
I’m happy, it’s warm and dry.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraSo great. When Sue and I tour we also have our own version of the table cloth. Love your red and white checks. Classy.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
ann and steve maher-wearyIt spices up the decor of the bus shelter! We wrap foods that we want to keep cool in it. It is our cooler🙃
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming into Odense, everyone cycles. The city cycling paths are awesome.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The street where Hans Christian Andersen lived as a child.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Lyle McLeodEverything just seems so perfectly put together in Denmark
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Ice cream and coffee to celebrate our arrival in Odense.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThat looks good!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 2,368 km (1,471 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Kirsten KaarsooSounds like the perfect few days.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rachael AndersonAnother great day in spite of the rain.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago