Waiting...waiting...waiting - We'll Follow the Sun - CycleBlaze

November 29, 2018

Waiting...waiting...waiting

Ok, its the 29th of November and we are at the end of our time here in Austin.  Needless to say, things did not work out quite as we expected.  On the one hand, we did manage to get in some very good family visits, including a few days up in Waco to have Thanksgiving with Annie, Matt and Matt's family.  It was great to spend some time with all of them and to meet their new little dog, June Bug.

Thanksgiving x 2! We had one in Canada before leaving - lucky us!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is Sweet Pea - and what a sweetie she is!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
And now there's June Bug - a perfect match!
Heart 1 Comment 0
And of course, there was a visit with Annie's two Harris Hawks. This is Poseidon - Aries was not in the mood to visit!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The problem for us was that in the week before Thanksgiving, I came down with some mystery bug that basically had me bedridden for 2 days and then slowly slowly recovering for the next 5 days, so one week gone.  Then, right after Thanksgiving, Jim came down with either the very same illness or something quite similar as he was bedridden for a few days and has been slowly slowly recovering since then!  Ugh!  It was nice that one of us was ok to go to the store and make chicken soup for the other, but it kept us pretty close to home for 2 weeks on either side of Thanksgiving, which of course, meant very little cycling of any length of time.  That, along with the crazy fluctuations in weather really cut into our preparations for the upcoming 3 months of cycling.  Oh well!  Good thing we have planned a fairly slow tour anyways, with plenty of days in the places we want to see for us to explore and relax.  As I said in an earlier post, a fast paced tour this is not!  

However, all has not been boring here in Austin, because, Austin is just a very fun and interesting city to hang out in and our Airbnb is close enough to town for us to easily stroll to places we wanted to go to.  The following are pictures of some of our favourite views here.  As for all the places we didn't get to see this year?  Well, that's why we'll come back, of course!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Feed me, Seymour, feed me!!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
So, along the river and Ladybird Lake, there are, I think, 5 bridges! Each one has great options for biking across. This bridge has a separate bike/walking path under where the cars are. I sure wish Vancouver could be like this - so much nicer for everyone!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

So, there you go.  I am going to zero out the mileage so that we start fresh in Mexico.  Tomorrow is a travel day down to San Antonio where we will get to have dinner with my cousin Betty and her husband, Stuart before catching an early morning flight to Merida.  We have a layover in Mexico City where we will have to clear customs, so it should make for a looooong day!  However, at the end we will be in Merida and hopefully will be in shape for the Sunday ride on Paseo de Montejo - they close this street down on Sundays for bikes to ride - should be a great way to begin our time in Mexico - Ole!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bennie D. BarfieldHey Guys,, looking forward to Cuba and the rest of the adventure.. We're on board with you..
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Sue PriceTo Bennie D. BarfieldThanks! We are excited to get this show on the road!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago