The Best Laid Plans..... - We'll Follow the Sun - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2018

The Best Laid Plans.....

Or Two Out of Three Ain't Bad

So, when we started this journal in Austin, the plan was to 1) visit with family 2) enjoy this lovely city in all its quirky glory and 3) cycle in the normally hot and humid weather here to get ready for the even hotter and more humid climate of the Yucatan.  

Well, we have been enjoying family visits, so yay! Just last weekend some second cousins of mine who I had never met before came to town to share some family stories.  It was lovely to finally meet Ronnie and Betty after finding them through Ancestry over this past winter.  I was surprised to learn so much about my father's family history in this region - I had no idea!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Ok, so family visits, check.  Next up, quirky and interesting places in Austin to visit.  Well, we have enjoyed many lovely walks along Ladybird Lake, and checked out some interesting art installations while walking and cycling there.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one's called "Canis Major" - its a constellation made out of giant tennis balls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yep, Austin is keeping it weird!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
That Jim, always looking for the perfect shot!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ok, so this is not an art installation. We met this fellow the other day and stopped today to grab a pic of his beautiful mule. He rides her along the lake quite often!
Heart 2 Comment 0

So, as I said in the title, the best laid plans (or two out of three ain't bad). Yep.  We managed to get out for a good long ride in the heat 90 degree heat, but then a day later came the rain and a drop in temp to first the 60's and then freezing!  That's a drop of 60 degrees in less than a week! Crazy!!!!!  As we are heading to warmer climates in Mexico and Cuba and expected similar weather here, we did not bring our cold weather gear and so were sidelined once the cold weather descended upon us.  Needless to say, this has been frustrating, particularly as we don't have a car and so rely on our bikes and walking to get anything done while here. Thankfully, the cold has passed and today was a balmy 65 where we were once again able to get out on the bikes, but with 2 weeks to go, one of which we will be heading to Waco for Thanksgiving (yum!), we will not be as prepared as we had hoped to be for the heat of cycling in the Yucatan.  Oh well, such is life.  Once we arrive in Mexico, I will try to be more regular in posting to this blog.  We are excited about the cycling, the Mayan ruins and the sunshine we hope to find in the coming months, so make sure to check back!

This is us 3 days ago - notice the hats under our helmets - cold!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
And today, not so cold :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0