Epiry to Decize - Melo Vélo Meanderings - CycleBlaze

June 2, 2018

Epiry to Decize

Blue sky and sunshine greeted me this morning which, together with little wind to speak of, promised a beautiful day of cycling.  After breakfast, I stopped by to bid au revoir to Marc and Hetty, who had chosen the camping option of Hotel Camping Sur Yonne.  I made the short climb up to Sardy-les-Epiry and back down to the Canal du Nivernais, and I was on my way.

Marc and Hetty
Heart 0 Comment 0

Although it was a splendid Saturday, there were relatively few people along the canal.  I did stop to chat with a group from Paris who were down visiting a friend for a couple of days of cycling and barbecuing. There were a number of people fishing, either alone or in family groups, as well as amblers and dog walkers. Other animate objects included countless Charolais, horses, sheep, and numerous herons and ducks.  Of note was a stork up high in her nest, guarding her young.  (Thanks to Steve Miller/Grampies for correct bird identification!)

Grazing Charolais
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stork nest with patient parent watching over a couple of young ones.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesActually, the bird in question is a stork, but it is a nice shot all the same.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Susan CarpenterTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks for the correction and nice compliment - I'll make the change.
Best, Susan
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Among the more interesting sites along the canal was a lock house seemingly in the process of renovation by the sculptor/renovator Vaurette Virgile - at least according the the signage.  A number of metal and stone sculptures lined the route leading up to the lock house - and there was other evidence of an artist at work on the stubbing posts and the outbuilding.  

Stone and metal sculptures along the Canal du Nivernais
Heart 1 Comment 0
A stubbing post serves as the canvas for some modern art
Heart 0 Comment 0
Artwork and artist signage on lock house renovation project
Heart 0 Comment 0

I stopped in Chatillon-en-Bazois around 11:30 for a coffee and picked up a sandwich for lunch along the canal.  After a mid-afternoon refreshment, I was soon in Decize -not a very interesting nor pretty town.  

All told, it was a glorious day of cycling on which the beauty of the canal and surrounding countryside was on display. I have reached the end of the Canal du Nivernais and have crossed the Loire. Tomorrow it's on to Eurovelo 6 and La Loire a Vélo.

A beautiful day along the Canal du Nivernais
Heart 3 Comment 0
A beautiful day along the Canal du Nivernais
Heart 3 Comment 0
Decize overlooking the Loire
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 97 miles (156 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0