Through the Barossa - 3 old blokes tackle the Mawson Trail - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2021

Through the Barossa

Mt Crawford to Kapunda

Chalks campground at Mt Crawford was virtually deserted despite it being school holidays so we had the pick of the sites. We soon found out why. There was a total fire ban in place from midnight with a forecast of damaging winds from the north which was exactly were we were heading. The winds hit around midnight but came in short bursts and then died. We were surrounded by towering gums which I desperately hoped would survive another day. They did.We had to leave by 8am when the park closed and after a short stint on the tarmac we were back on the dirt.
The Mawson Trail is famous for sections of heavily corrugated roads and we got our first taste today. 

Not rainclouds....dust storms
Heart 3 Comment 0

The wind was blowing solidly but gusting in all directions. One minute it was with us, but largely it was in our faces. Still, it didn’t get as bad as I thought it would. We didn’t get the dust storm that hit areas not far from us and shrouded Adelaide. 

Heart 7 Comment 0

We’re riding through the Barossa Valley today, home of some of the most iconic wineries in Australia. Our path took us past Orlando’s famous Steingarten vineyard. The Steingarten Riesling was one of the first wines that Garry Janes, world famous wine critic put me on to.

Battling headwinds
Heart 2 Comment 0
Love this tree
Heart 6 Comment 0
Proper rock walls
Heart 5 Comment 1
Cherie McLeanI need a few new ones at home!!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Heart 4 Comment 0
Now I’ve conquered the 2 great Australian hills. Koonunga Hill and Rooty Hill
Heart 4 Comment 0

We were going to camp outside of Kapunda, but with a total fire ban we stayed at the town caravan park and savoured the culinary delights of the North Kapunda Hotel. My congealed mushroom sauce was to die for (literally) closely followed by Steve’s chewy steak broiled to perfection and served with a weird looking sauce called JD. I think that meant Jack Daniels but who knows.  The bar lady/waiter/sommelier then dispensed her views on the COVID vaccine to us. Who would have thought that an epidemiologist would end up behind the bar at the North Kapunda Hotel.

Any if you don’t normally get the flu then you won’t get COVID. End of story. I think she actually injects herself with HD sauce.

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 151 km (94 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lyle McLeodGreat Kupunda Hotel sommelier story. It a big world out there, in so many ways!
Love Barossa wines, and I doubt we’re getting the really good stuff here in the Great White North of Canada. Your trip is adding to the increasing allure of an Aussie tour.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago