Finally we’re off - 3 old blokes tackle the Mawson Trail - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2021

Finally we’re off

Adelaide to Mt Crawford

After what seems an eternity of planning and talking about riding the Mawson Trail, finally we’re underway. Steve flew in from Sydney this morning and Pete arrived first thing having camped at Murray Bridge last night. I’ve been in Adelaide for 2 days with Cherie doing some serious research into what wine to have tonight, and after much deliberation decided on an Ashton Hills Pinot.

After procuring a satellite phone and doing a quick shop we had just enough time to have a coffee whilst waiting for Steve to lob in from the airport. We were a bit unsure as to whether we could have a fire at our campsite tonight as they’ve extended the fire season in some districts as it’s been so dry. Pete asked the owner of the coffee roasting house if he knew what fire district we were heading to. He didn’t, but he was going camping this weekend with assistant fire commissioner of SA so he rang him and he gave us a special dispensation. Excellent service and bloody good coffee as well.

The obligatory opening photo.
Heart 5 Comment 0

On the road at 11am, the first 15ks were along bike paths next to the Torrens River heading towards the Adelaide hills. I of course headed the wrong way up the river, confirming my complete lack of any sense of direction. After leaving the river the Gorge road started rising up to the official start point of the Mawson Trail. We turned off onto a dirt road that immediately went up and up and up. We climbed close to 1000 metres in not many k’s but there was a fair bit of pushing involved.

We’re in wine country
Heart 3 Comment 0
Near the start of the trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
I reckon about 22%
Heart 7 Comment 0

We got in to camp just as the sun was setting after a great first day of riding. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 70 km (43 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Glenys RoperHow many metres vertical?
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Dennis LangleyHi Glenys, first day was tough. Probably about 1200 metres. Today was the easiest and best weather with no headwinds finally. About 600 today but much rougher roads.
Thanks for following! Dennis
Reply to this comment
3 years ago