My Cup Runeth Over....: Day 80 - Recharging in Charlottetown - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2015

My Cup Runeth Over....: Day 80 - Recharging in Charlottetown

Today was a textbook rest day, and there's no better place to do this than Charlottetown. Slept in til 8:30, had a leisurely breakfast and then went back to our very comfortable room and had a nap.

That's right, a nap. And why not? The Cup and Saucer parade didn't start for another hour, we only had to go out to buy another pair of cycling gloves for Kirsten from a bike shop less than a km away, and it was at least another 3 hours before lunch.  That's what we did today, in that order.

After lunch we took in a few galleries and parks in the downtown area, which is all of about five square blocks (and I say that in a good sense) and then moved to our hotel that we are in tonight, The Great George. We decided to splurge a little for this rest break and the Great George is part of this. To keep all this in perspective though, "Great" in a Charlottetown context is extremely comforting, but still very accessible. "Yes, please wheel your bikes through our lobby and store them in our confernce room. And please be sure to join the other guests in the lobby for a glass of wine or some of our local craft beers at 4 pm." Ok, no problem, we can handle that.

To round things out we met Mark for a great dinner at the Cladagh Oyster House.

Back on the bikes tomorrow and on to Nova Scotia. PEI has been a short but increadibly relaxing stay. Hope to be back soon.

Here's the multi thousand word essay on why we like this place so much.

Who doesn't like a parade? Today was the Gold Cup and Suacer parade. THE big day of the island social calendar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Celebrating the Island's agriculture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Somebody also has to wear the cucumber suit!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think this is a mussel and an oyster, but I can't be sure...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can't have a Maritimes parade without a pipe band
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lord and lady agree...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of public art installations in town, this one celebrating the fisheries and it's associated culinary offshoots..... A tuna constructed of soup spoons!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Up close with the tuna. Very beautiful application of an everyday implement
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very laid back Charlottetown harbour. Everything about this place translates into slow down and relax. We're okay with that.
Heart 1 Comment 0
St. Dustan's basilica across the street from our hotel for tonight
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the night, The Great George Hotel. It's a collection of about 15 late 18th century buildings that have been converted into a hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of some of the buildings comprising the Great George
Heart 1 Comment 0
Statue of the two John Hamilton Grays who attended the 1864 Confederation Conference. Like all politicians, they're still yapping
Heart 0 Comment 0
Confederation Hall where the 1864 confederation conference was held. This conference led to the creation of Canada as an independent nation in 1867
Heart 0 Comment 0
1864 was a big year for Charlottetown and for Canada
Heart 0 Comment 0
And this is what it looked like then.... Thanks to Marty McFly for the use of his DeLorean to make this picture possible
Heart 0 Comment 0
Can't go a day here without someone getting into the Anne get up...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shadow shot of "The Do". Haven't got a hair cut on the trip yet .... Reminicient of my graduation trip 33 years ago. Brutal in the heat but the more comments I get, and there's lots, the more it becomes a badge of honour! Wait another couple of weeks until St John's!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0