Pareto's Principle?: Day 81 - Charlottetown PEI to New Glasgow Nova Scotia - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2015

Pareto's Principle?: Day 81 - Charlottetown PEI to New Glasgow Nova Scotia

Eight out of ten provinces done today. Two or twenty percent left to go. Are we going to get 80% of the value of the trip in these last 20%. If so it will make what has been an incredible experience for us so far quite unbelievable.

Heart 0 Comment 0

PEI was short but sweet. We really didn't do more than a whistle stop tour through here, and you could easily spend a week touring on the island. With ferries and flights now booked, our trip is now working to deadlines for the first time.

Another first time for the trip, I was feeling under the weather today. That's the first for either Kirsten or me. Hopefully it's a 24 hour thing and I'm back to normal tomorrow, cause I found today's relatively short day quite tough.

We did have headwinds for much of the day, and surprisingly had almost 600 m of elavation gain and loss. That's a lot for a place where the highest elevation is only 150 m.

We had a nice lie in this morning but then had to make a pretty quick 64 km dash to catch the 1 pm ferry to Nova Scotia. We made it with about 5 minutes to spare!

So now we're in province 9. Three days to get to North Sydney on Cape Breton Island to catch our last ferry. Nova Scotia's getting a short straw from us on this tour also. I think you could easily pack in a couple of week tour in this area, a lot more than the three days it's getting from us.

Not many pics today. Maybe more tomorrow.

So long PEI, hello Nova Scotia!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Song of the day:

Snowbird by An...... No bloody way, just joking!

How about What I See by Rose Cousins

I don't normally put in two in a row by the same artist but I really like her, and the first song was a Springsteen cover. This one is hers.

Historical monument of the day:

Tribute to Viola Desmond who in 1949 was evicted from a New Glasgow movie theatre and jailed for a night for insisting on sitting in a "whites only" section of the theatre. I was quite shocked to know this actually happened here, but her story of fighting this and having these wrongs righted are quite inspirational. She's Canada's Rosa Parks.

The story of Viola Desmond and the New Glasgow theatre
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 7,485 km (4,648 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0