Checking out the Sugar Shack: Day 62 - hanging out at Clair's Roblin homestead - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2015

Checking out the Sugar Shack: Day 62 - hanging out at Clair's Roblin homestead

Another official day off the Road Bikes.

A nice leisurely breakfast at Marie's place by the lake, and then went back to Clair's place at Roblin. He has about 190 acres of the original family farm where he's built a very nice house. Some of the land is rented to local farmers, some he runs as a sugar bush for maple syrup in the spring, and a good chunk of it is devoted to mountain biking!

Over the years he and Marie have built many km's of excellent single track trails on the property. It not really hilly but there is a really interesting mix of cedar and maple forests, several creeks and big sections of fractured and karsted limestone. Lots of really cool technical mountain biking.

I didn't get any pictures of some of the really god technical rock riding as I was too busy trying to keep upright. Oh and another thing, if you stopped to take a picture you risked having all your blood sucked out my mosquitos and deer flies in a minute or so.

Aside from the bugs, it was a fun afternoon of riding. Much much different than the rythmic existence on a touring bike.

We also got to see Clair's Sugar Shack (how many people can say they actually have a sugar shack!). It's on the list to come back in the spring and take part in some maple syrup making!

Claire and Marie, thanks for a couple of great days and we look forward to seeing you in canmore when the snow flies.

Riding through the cedars
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Sugar Shack
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marie, Clair Kirsten and Hunter, Clair's dainty little dog
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0