Blowin' Into Alberta: Day 10. - Tete Jaune Cache to Jasper - And Then We Pedalled...... Cross Canada 2015 - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2015

Blowin' Into Alberta: Day 10. - Tete Jaune Cache to Jasper

This is getting much more real now. Today we'll pass the 1000 km mark, leave our first province, and cross the continental divide (that won't be our high point for elevation though, that comes in a few days on the Ice Fields Parkway!)

The rain held off last night but the wind stayed, from the west! It was also partially cloudy and cool, perfect for cycling. No rivers of sweat pouring off our noses (I know this does not sound very pleasant but that's what happens when it's hot).

We rode along the Fraser river as it made it's way from its headwaters in the Rockies. I'm banging on about this but I think it's very cool how we've connected with this river near it's source, 10 days after seeing it empty into the Pacific. It's already  a pretty big river up here near the continental divide and it still has almost 1,400 km to flow and get bigger!.

We stopped at the falls (pics below) that limit the extent of the salmon spawning. Again, I think it's amazing that year after year Salmon make it this far from the ocean along this river (and countless others) to spawn.

We spent most of the day in Mount Robson provincial park but as usual the namesake mountain was shrouded in clouds. It is a magnificent mountain if you ever get the chance to see it.

We also met up with fellow cross Canada cyclists Nancy and Rob from Saskatoon. We rode most of the day and then camped with them in Jasper. They are continuing on the Yellow Head route through to Edmonton while we are going to peel off south over the Ice Field Parkway to Canmore and Calgary. We may well end up meeting on the road again. This is their second cross Canada trip having completed their first one in 1978. Rob and I enjoyed riding along and talking bikes. Kirsten chose to ride well behind and avoid this conversation altogether! Wise move.

We're taking an off-bike day in Jasper on Saturday as the weather forecast isn't that great, and after 1000 km's, our legs could use a little R&R.

We had a great dinner in Jasper (Syrah restuarant - would recommend this to any one passing through looking for a really nice dinner) and then back to Whistlers camp-ground where we might sleep in until 8!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Song of the Day:

Homer's Reel by Capercaillie .... this just seemed like a Scottish kind of day, cool, overcast, some wind, dramatic scenery.... and this little instrumental ditty fit the bill

Historical monument of the Day:

Rearguard Falls. the upstream limit of the salmon run on the Fraser river, some 1,350 km (850 miles) from the Pacific ocean. The falls were pretty spectacular with the river being in full flow at this time of year. The river is named after Simon Fraser who explored and settled this area for the North West Company. He was born in British North America but his father was an officer in the Highland Regiment ... in other words a hairy Scot, like most of the other explores and fur traders of the time.

Overcast and cool - a nice break. Fairly brisk wind too ..... From the west ..... We were going east. The gods continue to smile on us
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing that salmon make it this far. We are almost at the Alberta boarder!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The upper Fraser in full flow
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sculpting power of water
Heart 0 Comment 0
The brute force of water
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fraser, after a rendezvous with the Thompson in a few hundred km's the next stop is the pacific
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Robson provincial park Robson shrouded in clouds (as per normal). Robson is the tallest peak in the Canadian Rockies, 3954 m capped with a beautiful glacier. You'll have to take my word for it or buy a cloud free post card
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another beautiful view of the Fraser river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Met Nancy and Rob from Saskatoon. They're on their second cross Canada trip after a 37 year break. I think they've done a bit of biking in between.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mnt. Fitzwilliam ..... Impressive massif .... Part of the continental divide. Almost out of BC and back into Alberta
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yellow head pass ( Tete Jaune in our other official language) A very benign climb ( we were helped by a pretty strong tailwind). Back in Alberta and downhill to Jasper!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cross Canada crew arriving at Jasper. Bill, Rob, Nancy and Kirsten
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very nice dinner in Jasper at Syrah, would like to stay for another bevy but Kirsten's ready to go
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 105 km (65 miles)
Total: 1,009 km (627 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0