Silver Lake SP, MI to Muskegon SP, MI - Lower Lake Michigan - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2023

Silver Lake SP, MI to Muskegon SP, MI

Day 2

We got up at 6:45 am and had a slow start as we didn't need to leave until 9:30 to ride to the Little Sable Lighthouse which opened at 10 am.

We had a decent nights sleep, the camp while noisy did quieten down after 10 pm. 

As it was the first day of tour, we re-packed some of our bags. This will continue for the next few days until we get the rhythm down.

Campsite breakfast. New coffee maker worked well.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left the campsite at 9:20 am and cycled south on a dead end road to the Little Sable Lighthouse arriving at 9:45 am. While waiting for the volunteers to open so we could purchase a ticket to climb the tower we walked around and took some photos. What a beautiful spot, a nice sunny day with little wind. The volunteers told us that yesterday the sand was blowing so hard it stung the skin.

Once opened, we got to climb to the top of the tower. There were 4 landings on the way up the spiral stair case to the top. We got a great view north and south and out to the lake.

Little Sable Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse. View south.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse. View north.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse. Lens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse. View to bikes in the parking lot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse. View west.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse. Mechanism.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Little Sable Lighthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Little Sable Point Lighthouse

The Little Sable Point Lighthouse was activated in 1874.

The lighthouse was connected to a twelve-room, two story keepers residence which house the families of both keepers.

After the light was electrified and automated in 1954 the keepers house was torn down.

Silver Lake State Park. Sand dunes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

By 10:30 am we were backtracking to the State Park, then we took W Fox Road arriving in Mears at 11:30 where we picked up the Fred Miejer trail south.

Mears, MI
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fred Miejer trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Cameron's pedal was lose this morning and appeared to be cross threaded. Not having a wrench we risked riding until we could find a bike shop. Unfortunately, the pedal came off and Cameron crashed. No broken bones but some road rash and a cut thumb. Luckly a fellow cyclist came by who had a small wrench and we were able to get the pedal back on. We stopped on the side of the trail for lunch and limped into Montague. While there, we were directed to a bike hire place who had a pedal wrench. I tried to tighten the pedal but the thread was stripped so I purchased new pedals. I’m not sure what is up with the cranks as I have changed pedals before on this bike but the new pedals cross threaded as well. But after some effort I have them on and tight and this should get us through to either a bike shop or the end of the trip. 

Whitehall / Montague train station.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In 1911, the West Michigan Lakeshore Highway Association was founded. A road was proposed to bring tourists from Chicago to Mackinac and was named the West Michigan Pike. By 1914 the all gravel road could be travelled without mud or sand. In 1916, these concrete posts were erected every mile. The road was paved in 1922. Originally the road was M-11, however in 1926 was changed to US 31 when federal highways were established.

West Michigan Pike mile maker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whitehall butterfly garden on the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Whitehall butterfly garden on the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0


We left Whitehall at 3 pm and soon deviated from the trail and rode west around the south side of White Lake. 

White Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We eventually reached the White River Light Station at 4 pm. 

We paid to climb the tower for a view. The tower was built into the house on the northwest corner. On the 2nd floor in the attic there was a small museum that we found interesting and displayed the original lens from the light. While the light was active the keepers used the tower spiral stair case to reach the 2nd floor bedroom area. There were no other stairs in the house. We climbed up another level to reach the lantern room and view. 

White River Light Station.
Heart 1 Comment 0
White River Light Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station. Piers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station. Fourth Order Fresnel Lens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes down below.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station. Floor plan.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White River Light Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0

White River Light Station

Two piers were built at White River mouth in 1871 and a wooden pierhead light was built on the south pier.

A main land based lighthouse was established on May 13, 1876. Over a period from 1880 to 1884 the piers were extended twice and the pierhead light was moved each time. in 1918 the main light was electrified.

New piers were constructed of concrete in 1930 and a skeletal tower replaced the old wooden pierhead light.

The main lighthouse was deactivated in 1960.

Leaving at 4:30 pm we still had some distance to go to reach our campsite at Muskegon State Park. We were soon following Scenic Drive passing Duck Lake State Park. Scenic Drive was built as a scenic byway in the 1920's to lure tourists off the West Michigan Pike to the resort area of White Lake. The great depression ended plans to extend the road south to Grand Haven.

Duck Lake State Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road went inland again through trees that gave us some relief from the late afternoon sun. After entering the state park, the road gave us one more surprise with a stiff climb to the highest point on the Scenic Drive.

Highest point on the Scenic Drive.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was back to lake level for the ride into the campground arriving around 5:45 pm.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We checked into the Muskegon State Park campground, site 88 and cooked dinner. just a pasta dinner tonight as not close to a store to get meat. A lot of work for me as Cameron's hand was injured so I am doing double duty erecting tents.

After we had cleaned up our dinner dishes, we rode down to the pier and walked our bikes out to the end to watch the sunset.

We got some great golden hour photos of the Muskegon Lighthouses. We will ride around the bay and visit these tomorrow. 

Muskegon Lighthouses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Muskegon Breakwater Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Muskegon Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Muskegon Lighthouses.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode back in the twilight and had showers. It was a quiet camp as not to many campers around. in bed by 9:30 pm as it has been a long day with the mechanical issues so looking forward to a good nights sleep.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 83 miles (134 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0