Ludington, MI to Silver Lake SP, MI - Lower Lake Michigan - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2023

Ludington, MI to Silver Lake SP, MI

Day 1

We woke up and there was still no electricity but had a nice cool night with the windows open. The family were leaving early so we left early as well. We stopped in the village of Grass Lake to have a look around after detouring for a power line across the road. While in the village, we checked out the restored train station. Passenger rail ceased here in the 1950’s and the station burnt down, only leaving the stone shell but it has now been restored to is former glory.

Grass Lake train station.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grass Lake train station.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We carried on west on Michigan Avenue, skipping the freeway, to Jackson, MI and stopped in at Meijer to pick up groceries and eat breakfast. By 9:10 am we were on the road north taking US-127 arriving in Lansing at 10:10 am. 

We wanted to get some National Park stamps for the Motor City National Historical Area so stopped at the RE Olds museum. I had previously visited this museum so it was a brief stop to get the stamp. Next was the State Capital along with the Hotel Olds for some photos and lastly the Michigan Historic Museum for another NPS stamp.

RE Olds Museum. Home of the REO Speedwagon.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Michigan State Capital.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hotel Olds. Built in 1926.
Heart 2 Comment 0

On the road again, we passed through Grand Rapids, stopping for a quick lunch just north of Muskegon.

We arrived in Ludington at 1:30pm, a bit later than I hoped. Our trip was planned to start here and end with a ferry ride across the lake from Manitowoc, WI however the SS Badger passenger ferry had stopped running for the season as there was an issue with the loading dock. Our plan now was to round the lake to Milwaukee, WI, take the Cat Ferry to Muskegon, MI and then cycle north back to Ludington. 

After getting organized and the bikes loaded, we cycled around to the Ludington Pierhead Lighthouse.

The SS Badger at the dock.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As the wind was up and waves were breaking over the pier, the lighthouse was closed so we didn’t spend to much time there. The plan was to visit the lighthouse but as we will finish our tour here next week so will hope for better weather then.

Ludington Pier Lighthouse. Pier closed, so this is the closest view.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped in at the Ludington Maritime Museum and I got some photos of the lighthouse lens’s from Big Sable Lighthouse and the Ludington Pierhead Lighthouse.

Big Sable Lighthouse Lens.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ludington Pierhead Lighthouse Lens.
Heart 2 Comment 0


Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse

 A pierhead lighthouse at Ludington was first lit in 1870 on the south pier,      however in December 1876, the pierhead and light were washed away during a heavy storm. The lighthouse was rebuilt a year later.

An extension of the south pierhead was completed in 1890 and the light was moved 750 feet further into the lake.

The current tower was completed in 1924 and is on the concrete north pier.

After a restoration in 2016, the lens was moved to the Port of Ludington Maritime Museum. 

Just before leaving town we took some photos of the Welcome to Michigan signs at the ferry dock.  

Welcome to Pure Michigan.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Welcome to Pure Michigan. US Hwy 10 actually crosses the lake on the ferry from WI to MI.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally we got on the road at 2:45 pm, and the great news is we had a huge tailwind. 

Heading south on bike route 35.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first mile or two were on Business Hwy 31 but soon we turned off to the quieter Iris Road heading back out towards the lake. However this road did present us with the early climbing. 

Our first stop was the Phillips Cemetery and I had a quick walk around trying to find the earliest grave and found one from 1872 but I am sure there was some that were older. 

When I got home I researched the cemetery on the Find a Grave website and found:

Charity Hise Phillips
BIRTH 30 Apr 1795, Hopewell, Mercer County, New Jersey, USA
DEATH 14 Jul 1866 (aged 71), Forest Hill, Gratiot County, Michigan, USA

1866 was the date on the Cemetery sign so assuming the cemetery was established when she died.

Considering the time period, she lived a long live. Wondering if we are distant cousins.

Phillips Cemetery.
Heart 2 Comment 0

With the tail wind it was hot in the sun but we found nice shady parts of the road. Traffic was busier than expected but it was Saturday. The road was also hilly so quite challenging on our first day out. 

 We arrived in Pentwater and rode out to the lighthouse which wasn't that impressive. The pier was closed here as well due to the wind and waves.

Pentwater Pier Lighthouses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pentwater South Pier Lighthouse. (1937)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pentwater North Pier Lighthouse. (1987)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pentwater North & South Pier Lighthouses.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Pentwater Pier Lighthouse

A  wooden tower was built at the outer end of the south pier at Pentwater and went into operation on June 20th 1873.

The old timber piers were replaced with concrete in 1937, and the current metal skeletal tower was erected on the southern pier.

 E.F. Kent, commodore of the Pentwater Yacht Club, enlisted the help of Congressman Albert J. Engel in gaining ownership of the old wooden lighthouse, so it could be mounted on the roof of the group’s clubhouse.

We rode through downtown Pentwater which appeared to be very affluent and stopped at the Yacht Club as in the 1930's the lighthouse lantern room was moved there, finding a very modern building I imagine the lantern room is long gone.

Pentwater Yacht Club.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pentwater Harbor.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We left Pentwater at 4:45 pm and rode around Pentwater Lake and down the coast to Silver Lake Dunes, arriving at Silver Lake State Park at 5:45 pm

As the camp is next to the dunes there were many campers with dune buggies.

We got a specific camp for bikers for $20. Walked to the camp store and bought some brats and a can of beer for dinner.

After cooking and eating dinner, it was showers and in bed by 9 pm, both being tired from our first day.

Silver Lake State Park. Biker camp site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Biker site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Camp. Beers & Brats.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 33 miles (53 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0