Mears, MI to Ludington, MI - Lower Lake Michigan - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2023

Mears, MI to Ludington, MI

Day 11

It was a very hot night in the tent and I woke at 6 am and lay around until there was sufficient light to get up and about. By 7 am we were packed and loaded and rode off before anyone could see we had stayed there.

Camp site on the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Camp site on the trail. We were never here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode into Mears, MI arriving at 7:30 am at The Golden Eatery on 4th Street. This was the cheapest breakfast place we have found so far and the food and service was good.

The Golden Eatery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Golden Eatery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Golden Eatery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Golden Eatery. The $6 Breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Golden Eatery.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After breakfast and coffee we continued on the Hart Montague Bike Trail to Hart where the trail ended. From there is was local roads west on Bike Route 35 to Pentwater. 

Hart Montague Bike Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike Route 35 to Pentwater.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After Pentwater we were on familiar roads back to Ludington although the hills seemed steeper today due to the heat. But maybe I also complained about them 10 days ago as well.

Bass Lake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ludington Water Pumping Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived back at the ferry parking lot in Ludington at 11 am. and while the ferry hadn't been running and the parking lot was mostly empty, I was relieved to see the car was still there.

Ferry parking lot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Badger in port where they were working on the dock.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After packing all the gear in the car and loading the bikes we drove over to the beach area hoping for a outdoor shower. Not finding one, we took a swim in the lake to clean up. The water was really refreshing..... that is all I can say.

Ludington Beach. Lake Michigan. Beautiful clear water.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked out to the lighthouse hoping they were open today. For those paying attention you will remember we missed going out there on the first day due to high wind and waves. 

We found some people inside, packing up after the summer season so I was able to get one stamp. However, I found out later there were 4 stamps at this location. At some stage we will be back here to ride the Badger across the lake and tackle the northern half of Lake Michigan.

Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ludington South Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The wind was building as we left and the waves started to break over the pier.

Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ludington North Pierhead Lighthouse

A pierhead lighthouse at Ludington was first lit in 1870 on the south pier, however in December 1876, the pierhead and light were washed away during a heavy storm. The lighthouse was rebuilt a year later.

An extension of the south pierhead was completed in 1890 and the light was moved 750 feet further into the lake.

The current tower was completed in 1924 and is on the concrete north pier.

After a restoration in 2016, the lens was moved to the Port of Ludington Maritime Museum. 

We left Ludington at 12:30 pm heading back to Grass Lake, driving US Hwy 31 past familiar place names and also trying to determine the 3 spots the trail we just rode up on crossed under the highway.

We drove the business 31 through Muskegon, I needed gas which in hindsight was cheaper in Ludington, but the real purpose was to visit a Tim Hortons. After a late lunch, we hot the road again.

From Muskegon we drove straight on to I96 and then exited onto South US Hwy 131 into Grand Rapids. This was once again Cameron's part of the trip to visit ice hockey arenas.  Grand Rapids is the home to the Van Andel Arena where the Griffins play.

We had a short visit in Grand Rapids but I was impressed with the downtown area and will visit again when I can. Maybe riding the trail from there to Muskegon or another that reaches Holland. Plus there were other trails that headed in most directions, the longest went 100 miles north to Cadillac.

Van Andel Arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Van Andel Arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Van Andel Arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Grand Rapids. Ionia Ave.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Grand Rapids. Ionia Ave.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Grand Rapids we continued on US Hwy 131 south towards Kalamazoo. Just before arriving, we decided to drive out to the Gilmore Car Museum to take a look, not realizing how extensive it really is. Something like 16 different buildings full of cars. With a bit over an hour until closing, I decided the admission price wasn't worth it. Better to come another day when I had a lot more time. They recommend at least 4 hours.

Leaving, we worked our way towards Kalamazoo, passing a nice bike trail next to Hwy 343. We crossed over I94 to stop and visit the Kalamazoo Wings Ice Hockey Event Center. 

Kalamazoo Wings Event Center.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kalamazoo also has quite a few trails radiating out from it's main center. The longest reaching South Haven on Lake Michigan.

Hitting up 194 east, our next stop on the way back to our accommodation for the night, (family again), we stopped in at Meijer in Jackson, to pick up some meatballs and garlic bread to make for dinner. And some Labatt Blue beer of course.

With the riding part of this trip done, we will spend the next 2 days driving home. We have an extensive list of NPS sites, Detroit (Motor City) has dozens of them plus of course more hockey arenas to visit. And I may just stumble across a lighthouse or two, you never know.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 559 miles (900 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0