Detroit - Lower Lake Michigan - CycleBlaze

September 5, 2023

Detroit

This morning the plan was to drive to Detroit, MI, visit the ice hockey arenas, drive over to Windsor, Canada and visit more arenas, and visit a Tim Hortons as I swear the Cheese Panini is better in Canada. And lastly, visit some National Park sites, notably the Motorcities National Historic Area sites around Detroit.

We left Grass Lake under cloudy skies and decided on the way to visit the University of Michigan stadium in Ann Arbor on the way.

Michigan Stadium (Big House).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yost Arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After visiting both the football stadium (Big House) and the Yost Arena (Ice Hockey) we made a bad decision to drive downtown State Street past the university. Bad timing as many students were walking to class and the street was jam packed with cars as pedestrians were everywhere. Finally, out of there, we proceeded to Detroit.

Cameron's first stop was the site of the Joe Louis Arena on Steve Yzerman Drive. Recently torn down, it looks like an office building is going up in it's place.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Former site of Joe Louis Arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finding free parking alongside the construction worker's vehicles, we decided to leave the car here and walk too downtown.

We walked along the waterfront taking some photos of Windsor and headed to the GM buildings where we could get a NPS stamp.

Windsor, Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old Mariners Church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We passed up the tunnel to Canada and decided we would go this way later in the car and then come back on the Ambassador Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Canada, this way.
Heart 0 Comment 0

 Once entering the GM building, we wandered around looking for the information desk. Even going to the desk once but not explaining what we were looking for. Got some good photos of cars and then finally getting the first stamp for the Motorcities NHA.

GM Building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
GM car racing through the ages. Only posting photos below of what I consider the cool cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked a bit further into downtown thinking we would walk to the Little Caesars Stadium. But it looked like it would rain so we decided we would drive over later in the day after the visit to Canada.

Quite by accident, we passed by the other big two motor companies building, Chrysler and Ford on the walk back to the car.

Chrysler House.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ford Building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once back at the car, we had uneventful drive under the Detroit River and arrived in Canada. No hassle getting in. "Are you carrying a firearm?", "Nope", "Welcome to Canada."

As it was lunch time we headed straight to the nearest Tim Hortons. So disappointed, not in the food we ate, they just didn't have a Cheese Panini. I had even eaten one yesterday in Muskegon so I could do a recent comparison.

The donuts were good though.

Tim Hortons.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch, we drove over to the WFCU Centre (spelt correctly), home of the Spitfires ice hockey team.

WFCU Centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All the different logos over the years.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While I was in the area, I decided I would drive by the Pelee Passage Lighthouse. This was a lighthouse that was originally situated north east of Pelee Island and was dismantled and moved here after a new lighthouse was erected. Pelee Island is the island we stopped at on our ferry ride across Lake Erie on our ride around that lake.

Lake Erie

Pelee Passage Lighthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the lighthouse, we drove back into Windsor to the waterfront and took some photos of the Detroit skyline.

GM Buildings dominate the skyline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ambassador Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lastly, before heading back to the US, we went by the old Windsor Arena. The Spitfires last played here in their 2008-2009 season.

Windsor Arena.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Ambassador Bridge was very busy and it just as well they are building the new Gordie Howe bridge further up stream and will connect to the Canadian 401 freeway. Which I think every truck driver who crosses here will appreciate.

Our experience coming back into the USA was way different than entering Canada. I have flown into the US many times and they must really assign the jerks to man the Canadian border. 

Bridge packed with big rigs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our last piece of business for the day was to go see the Little Caesars Arena, home of the Detroit Redwings. Along with the Detroit Tigers stadium.

Detroit Tigers stadium.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Little Caesars Arena, from all 4 corners.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Nearby to the arena were the Fox and Fillmore theaters

Fox Theater.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fillmore Theater.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we had our fill of Detroit, we headed back to Grass Lake for the night. A good day for Cameron as he checked all his boxes.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0