Shoe Trouble!: Jargeau to Sully-sur-Loire - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2012

Shoe Trouble!: Jargeau to Sully-sur-Loire

Barry's Keen sandals have fallen apart. The all important back strap that keeps them on his foot has broken away..and a tandem doesn't ride well when the captain can't click his shoe into the pedal. We spent a while with the camp host (who spoke no English) as he attempted to help us find a bike shop in the area to buy new shoes. We were ready to bus back to Orleans, but duct tape came to the rescue. Barry reinforced his shoe with bright red dect tape and we decided to ride on to an Intersport department store down the river about 30 km. We set off hoping that we wouldn't have to duct tape the sandal to his foot, or more drastically, his foot to the pedal.
We encountere a couple who recommended that we take the road since the trail was made up oflarge gravel in spots. We were able to make it to the store - and they had only one pair that were large enough to fit him - so we bought them. We live to ride another day!!
Enjoyed a rest by the castle in Sully-sur-Loire (another exceptional chateau as this one had been built surrounded by water) and decided to stay at the local campground as it was getting late. Found a lovely spot by the river with a picnic table. We were pleased that cyclists were given the best spots with the best view (and picnic table is the icing on the cake).
We are both relieved to finish the day with shoes that Barry can ride with and wear in comfort.

We're hoping Barry's shoe wil make it a few more miles. Never leave home without duct tape.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltDuct tape does wonders!!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
we're preparing a picnic to have by the castle at Sully-sur-Loire
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle is totally surrounded by water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,465 km (910 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0