Fecamp to Criquetot L'esneval - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2012

Fecamp to Criquetot L'esneval

We got one of the last campsites at the municipal campgrounds in Fecamp. Most of the campground was perched on the side of the hill overlooking Fecamp. Our site was a tricky one to get to with a bicycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Greetings from Fecamp
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had to carry our gear and our bike down these stairs to get to our site
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving was pretty tricky, too
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Les Loges we stopped at Arnaud and Caroline's Levasseur Patisserie to buy some lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A few of their delicacies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pear tarte is typical of this area of Normandy. The picture doesn't do it justice - it could feed a family - needless to say, we didn't buy it for lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Caroline spoke English very well and was very welcoming and interested in our travels. She offered us a place to stay in their garden. Since it was so early in the day, we declined. To help us on our way, she gave us a brioche loaf and a jar of their caramel sauce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We bought croissants, lemon and coffee macaroon cookies and their specialty, apple caramel tarte to share...plus, a hearty walnut, raisin loaf for later. We're on our way in search of a shady spot to eat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The popular, beach town of Etretat - at each end of the beach are the famous "needles" in the alabaster cliffs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This part of the coast has a Mediterranean feel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we approached a small village climbing a hill, we could hear these children cheering on the cars as they raced by. We had just finished a strenuous 3 km climb from sea level at Etretat.
When they saw us approach on a bike, they enthusiastically cheered and gave us a thumbs up. This must be what the Tour de France must feel like!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Too hot to cook - mid 30's.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally figured out how to have a table and not carry one. The trailer works well.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In our quest to try a variety of French cheeses, we gave this a try. The pungent smell is a bit off putting, but its crusty coating and soft centre is delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A good day of riding. We left the cycle route at Les Loges and used secondary roads. Even with a long stop at the beach town, Etretat, we were able to reach Criquetot d'Esqueval.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campground is beautifully situated on an old farm. Camping le Beau Soleil, 14 euros, recommended. This building houses the bureau(check in), store, bar (very cold beer on tap), bathrooms and showers.....lovely old building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0