Sasssetot-le-Mauconduit to Fecamp - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2012

Sasssetot-le-Mauconduit to Fecamp

The neigbbours around our campsite all gathered around when we were packing up to leave. Through broken French and English we were able to explain our trip. They were all very interested. The two families plus grandchildren all gathered for a group photo.

Our friendly neighbours wishing us bonne journee.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our ride today continued through the beautiful farmlands of Normandy.The route we are on continues to be easy to navigate but difficult to ride with the many hills. We never have to worry about getting lost as there is a sign telling which way to go at every turn in the road. Traffic is is very light. We would highly recommend this route through Normandy.

Hey Judith, I'm wearing these for you - compression socks!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Village of Saussetot
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ideal cycle path - through farm lands.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As we approached Fecamp we stopped for lunch at a lookout. The view was of Fecamp and the Alabaster cliffs. The ride down into Fecamp was amazing. A very long, steep, winding fast hill down into Fecamp.
Fecamp was a very busy city with a beautiful promenade along the busy beach. We stopped at the tourist office and discovered that they offered free super fast WIFI.Rather than trying to have a long day of riding we choose to work on the journal for a couple of hours at the tourist office. We discovered that Saturday in the summer is a very busy and crowded day at resort cities. We decided to camp at the municipal campsite. Unfortunately it was located at the top of the steepest hill that we have ridden in a long time. Mary Ellen got off the bike and I rode up to the top. We got the last campsite available. They put all the campers arriving on bikes at sites located on a hillside that had to be accessed by long, old crumbling stone staircases. We carried all our gear and our bike to our site. Pretty tough going! It did have an amazing view of the English Channel and the city of Fecamp. The circus was in town and a loud heavy metal rock concert was taking place on the promenade. We could hear the music until 11:00 pm.

Wind is a constant along the coast - we have seen many windmills taking advantage of this free resource.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just above the seaside town of Fecamp. We are about to enjoy an extreme downhill approach- but look in the distance, we also have to climb up and out of Fecamp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fecamp
Heart 0 Comment 0
The promenade at Fecamp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset at our campsite on the cliff at Fecamp.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's an incredibly beautiful sunset at the campsite in Fecamp!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago
On this part of the coast, we feel like we are in the Mediterranean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The campground was like a warren of sites packed into the hillside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This may look calm, but the sounds of a heavy metal rock concert in town carried well to the campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 174 km (108 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0