A beautiful day: Ingolstadt to Kelheim - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2012

A beautiful day: Ingolstadt to Kelheim

As we approached Kelheim at the end of the day, we both felt a sense of wonder at the wealth of experiences travelling brings.
We began our day in a Youth Hostel, spent some time in a bike shop replacing our bike computer, walked through the old town of Ingolstadt, rode through some amazing country, got lost and found a better route with the help of a local and concluded the day with a magical boat ride down the Danube through the gorge. It was spectacular to see the cliffs in the early evening light. We watched rock climbers scaling the cliffs and enjoyed the commentary that explained the historical significance of points of interest. The cruise is only 6 km but it eliminates the need to ride over steep passes on a busy road.
As we arrived in Kelheim, we saw a man waving to us, and sure enough it was a couple we had met earlier in Ulm. They recommended the Guesthouse next to the boat launch which had a view of the Danube - luckily we got the last room.
We realize that we are feeling stronger as we are now always keen to go for a walk once we have reached our destination. We wandered through the town of Kelheim, admired the centuries old (and award winning) local brewery and found a local Gasthaus to have a German meal. We tried a dark beer from the Benedictine Abbey in Weltenburg, Dunkel (Gold medal winner at the World Beer Competition). We felt that since we had ridden through the local hop fields today (that are the biggest in the world), we should try the results of the harvest.

Interesting painted detail added to this building's facade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the Military Museum in Ingolstadt - decorated for fall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding across the moat and into the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A huge power plant along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail today was mostly on gravel, and often on top of the dyke by the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love seeing intereting bikes - this Hase bike is similar to the Bilenky bikes we see at home.
Looks like fun!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing hop fields in this area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had lost our way on the trail and ended up in Eining - which turned out to be a good thing. The boat here in Eining crosses the river and transports cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The current is quite strong here and the barge is connected to a line which along with his paddling propels it across.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The local who owned the barge, recommended this route which closely follows the Danube all the way to Wenterley. It is intended for farmers, but it provides a flat and scenic route for cyclists. Recommended!
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we approach Wenterley we see the cliffs of the Danube gorge beginning.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe Danube Gorge - - neat!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
The Benedectine Abbey in Wenterley is the oldest monastery in Bavaria. It is renowned for its beautiful setting and the beer they create.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view of the gorge from our passenger boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Liberation Hall celebrates the wars fought against Napoleon. It dominates the skyline and is visible just above our guesthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The boat we took from Wenterley to Kelheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The brewery in Kelheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wenterley beer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brewery dates back to 1050.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry enjoyed his roast pork dinner at the Gasthaus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gasthaus is a gathering place for locals - we really enjoy their homey atmosphere, great food and reasonable prices.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The youth hostel we stayed at in Ingolstadt.Our 8 bed dorm room just for us - complete with shower and gathering area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The window by the table shows the original purpose of the building to defend against Napoleon. The walls were several feet thick.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The exterior of the Youth Hostel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting bike from Holland.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The mom and her daughter were happy to explain their bike. There is room for a second seat and it holds up to 4 children.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ingolstadt.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Everybody rides bikes, some in formal work clothes, suits, even the nuns ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This bike has the most reflectors on the wheels we've seen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bikes are more common on these roads than cars - a nice change.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wonderful fountains in Ingolstadt. It is so lifelike - only the bird having a bath is not made of stone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another bike shop - we find such good people working at these shops.We had them mount a new bike computer for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A grand opening of a drugstore in Ingolstadt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 2,425 km (1,506 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0