Blindheim to Ingollstadt: So good to be riding again - London to Istanbul on a Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2012

Blindheim to Ingollstadt: So good to be riding again

We have been feeling bad that we are so slow riding through Germany - but a combination of bike issues and illness have forced us to take our time...and we are convinced that it has been a good thing. We have now been on the road over two months and it is easy to lose your focus and get a bit burned out. Many people we meet have an agenda of a set number of days per country - and that doesn't work for us.
Going at the pace we have, and staying a few days at a time in some of the small villages have given us a fresh perspective on life in Germany. We feel so lucky to have the luxury of time as we are retired and will return when we are ready. So, what's the rush?
Nonetheless, we are so happy to be back on the bike today and feeling healthier - we are ready to ride and cover some miles.
Anita at our guesthouse has been so hospitable and kind. We truly feel at home there. It is the first accomodation on our trip that has provided us with a full kitchen to use as we like -plus, she regularly brings us wonderful fresh produce from her garden -tomatoes,apples, etc.
The area around Blindheim is lush fertile farmland - and completely flat. The sun is shining and we feel strong again.
Donauworth is a picturesque city with parts of the city wall intact. As we rode through it into the old part of town we were impressed by the colourful buildings and vitality of the city.
The next section is quite hilly when you leave Schaftstall. We chose to take the alternate route to Altisheim. Flat and scenic - recommended.
The payoff of climbing hills was the incredible view we got down to the Danube valley and the hills beyond. The disconcerting part was that the trail was quite narrow and we shared it with cars. That isn't too bad on the ascent, but when you want to scream down a hill, cars can be an issue.
We had hoped to camp in Neuburg at the Canoe Club. The location is great (close walk to town) but it had a neglected feel and just as we were going to choose a spot we saw 1, then 3, then ... rats boldly running around where we were going to camp. We would have been the only tenters and decided that we could do better. Plus, we were in the mood to keep riding.
Past Neuburg, the trail is completely straigh and follows the industrial section. We came upon the Hunting Palace at Grunau - interesting and startling to see as the picture of it graces the cover of our Bikeline map. After this, the trail winds through the country and is a delightful ride to Ingolstadt.
After riding through the centre of town and not finding any affordable accomodation, we chanced upon the Youth Hostel. They gave us one of the small dorm rooms as a couple's room to ourselves with our own shower. It worked out well. As with many other Youth Hostels, the building is historic in that it was built in the 1800's as part of a protective barrier from Napoleon.
As a side note, Ingolstadt is where Mary Shelley set her novel Frankenstein.
As well, in 1516 the city drafted the famous Bavarian Purity Laws to ensure the quality of beer. At one time the city boasted 25 breweries. Today there are 4 and the beer here is reputed to be the some of the best in the world.
Dinner at Gasthaus Daniel in the old city of Ingolstadt - and yes the beer is superb. We enjoyed our first taste of Sauerbraten - delicious.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Bakery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donauworth
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Old city in Donauworth
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Donauworth
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
what a great face...
Heart 1 Comment 0
This billy goat took a liking to Mary Ellen and her helmet visor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been seeing these in front lawns in Germany. This celebrates a newborn baby to this couple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
So much gravel - glad we got new tires.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The apple trees are laden with trees -the farmers are having a good harvest season. As we stopped to take a look,the farmer came up to visit and gave us some apples to take with us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This man shared his organic apples with us
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don't know what this is. We see them in most small towns in this area
Heart 0 Comment 0
This front yard has been decorated to honour their marriage. Amazing work to create people out of hay bales.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 2,374 km (1,474 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0