Wrotham - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2019

Wrotham

We had a pretty good kip last night and woke up refreshed and ready to hit the road.  The forecast was for cool cloudy weather though so we weren't in any rush to get going.  We eventually left the hotel at about a quarter to ten and cycled down towards the pedestrian tunnel that crosses under the Thames at Greenwich.  On the way we stopped so I could pump up the tyres a bit.  In screwing the pump onto the valve of Leigh's bikes rear tyre, I managed to snap the valve. This meant I had to replace the tube which held us up for a little while.

In the tunnel under the Thames.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Cutty Sark
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once through the tunnel and past the Cutty Sark and the Maritime Museum we made our way towards Lewisham managing to lose our way a bit.  Then it was on to Bromley a a rather busy A21.  Once through Bromley the road got even busier.  I guess every Londoner with a car likes to take it out on Sundays.

Eventually we got off the A21 and headed to the village of Otford.  Maps.me showed a One-Stop a few hundred meters off our route so made our way there to buy some lunch.  Being Sunday we selected roast chicken and stuffing sandwhiches which we enjoyed next to the pond in the centre of Otford.

Lunch in Otford
Heart 0 Comment 0
Otford pond
Heart 0 Comment 0
Couldn't resist taking a picture of this sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was onto the Pilgrim's Way, an ancient road leading from London to Canterbury.  The road was now reduced to little more than one vehicular width and we were able to enjoy some really nice cycling conditions.  This continued for most of the way to the Gatehouse Wood Tourist Park just east of Wrotham where we are spending the night.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got a bit of thrill setting up our new Hilleberg Staika tent.  It seems pretty much just what we need.

Our new tent
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 91 km (57 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0