Wrightington - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2019

Wrightington

We got going a bit later than we wanted to this morning because it was raining lightly.   It stopped just before ten and we checked out of the Travelodge, learning in the process that Mr Ian Clark from room 420 was slapped with a one thousand pound fine and evicted from the hotel after his indiscretion last night.  Apparently he is also permanently banned from the hotel chain.

Today's ride was to take us between Liverpool and Manchester through Warrington, St Helen and Wigan.  Not the most attractive route and there is not much to write about it. 

The one attractive and helpful section was the Sankey Canal Trail which allowed us to avoid a large urban and industrial section and had lovely sealed paths for its entire length.

We arrived at our campsite at Charity Farm north of Wigan feeling a bit tired after the headwind that plagued us over the last twenty kilometers and the steady but long climb from Wigan. 

This is both Leigh and my first visit to Lancashire and we hope to be in the Lake District in two days time.  

In 1991 Leigh spent six weeks picking fruit near Tarvin
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the prettier sights today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Mersey. Unfortunately, not using the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Mersey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pork pies for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,293 km (803 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0