Chester - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2019

Chester

The Travelodge at which we are staying is just within Chester's main historical precinct so after a few hours of work we walked out of the door and onto the ancient city walls.  Just below us were the Roman Gardens.

Roman gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roman gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm not sure what to make of this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roman gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was onto the amphitheater next door to the gardens.

The Roman Amphitheater.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After that we strolled along the city walls passed Eastgate and paid a visit to the cathedral.  Mostly various Gothic arches but, with so many seemingly unrelated additions over the years, it seemed quite disjointed.

Chester Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chester Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chester Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting sculpture depicting John 4:14.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we wandered about The Rows, taking care of a few chores, such as buying new gas canisters and topping up our mobile data, along the way.

Eastgate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of The Rows from Eastgate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of Eastgate from The Rows.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building was dated 1395.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chester Cross - the Town Crier was more interesting than the cross.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a lunch of giant Yorkshire puddings stuffed with pork and vegies we headed back to our digs to catch our breath for the afternoon's session of site seeing.  This involved mostly a lazy walk around the south-western side of the cit before returning to our digs to finish off some work.

The River Dee flowing strongly over the weir.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Grosvenor Bridge built in 1832. At the time the longest single-span arch bridge in the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The castle was less impressive.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had just gone to sleep when suddenly the fire alarm started sounding - very loudly !  The hotel was evacuated and we all stood on the pavement while they took a roll call and the fire brigade was summonsed.  After about half and hour we were allowed back to our rooms.

Roll call - sleepy hands make for shaky photos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fire brigade finally arrived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0