Whitchurch - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2019

Whitchurch

Once again a sunny morning that quickly deteriorated.  We had a long climb out of Ironbridge (actually the nearby village of Coalbrookdale) to Little Wenlock from where we would enjoy a lovely downhill until it flattened out near Wellington.  Unfortunately the rain started as soon as we hit the road and was chucking down before we even got to Little Wenlock.

This is in some of the lovely forested area between Little Wenlock and Wellington. Incredibly beautiful when the rain stopped for long enough to see it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took shelter often.  Under trees, in bus shelters, in a cemetary and finally in a roadside diner.  It rained for most of the time we were on the bikes but every now and then the sun would break through the clouds and our hopes would rise.   What is depressing about today's rain is that all forecast suggested that the low pressure that is hanging over the British Isles would dissipate and it the weather would clear today.   Maybe tomorrow ...

The final stop at the diner was only about ten kilometers from our final destination, Hadley Park, a small campsite just outside Whitchurch.     

Ma Baker's. I not sure how reliable the claim to being world famous is.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The campsite was a sodden mess.  Not much different to much of the rest of south-west England after all the rain over the past while.  So we took one of the tiny camping pods on offer just we could avoid getting the tent all wet tonight.  The main attraction for stopping here is that they have laundry facilities so we have taken the opportunity get everything washed before heading off to Chester tomorrow.

We are spending two nights in Chester at a Travelodge to give us time to get some work done and to take in the sights at this historic old Roman city.

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 1,184 km (735 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0