Ironbridge - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2019

Ironbridge

A rough day that ends well always trumps a good day that ends badly.  Fortunately today was one of the former.

It started off innocuously enough.  Once again we had a late start only getting away some time after eleven.  We were heading for Ironbridge, the site of a World Heritage Sight, the Ironbridge Gorge.  Ironbridge pitches itself as the Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution based on the idea that Abraham Darby perfected the technique of smelting iron with coke allowing much cheaper production of iron. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We knew there would be a few hills along the way but were somewaht taken by surpise by their intensity.  It seems that Shropshire takes it queue from from Cornwall and Devon.  To complicate matters our route would probably have followed the Severn River which now was flowing very high and strongly after all the recent rain and had burst it banks in places.  Paths we had hoped to use were now flooded and we thought it prudent to follow a route further from the river.

The weather vwas still unsettled.  The day started off sunny.  Then it rained a few times before we broke camp with the sun bursting out every now and then.  This pattern would continue throughout the day.  We had to take cover in a bus stop in the village of Kinlet but that was the only time we were forced off the road by the rain today.

We eventually dragged ourselves into Bridgnorth, a pretty little town on the banks of the Severn where we enjoyed a late lunch of sandwiches in the high street. 

Bridgnorth.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we gritted our teeth and struggled over the last sixteen kilometers or so to Ironbridge.  Ironbridge was quite busy with Sunday visitors but we took a break for photos at the bridge.

Ironbridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still smiling after all the hills.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was up the last hill to the campsite.  Just before we reached the top we met the owner, James, who was walking back from the village.  Friendly and helpful, he made us feel at home in minutes.  The campsite is great.  Perched on top of a hill away from the village.  Small, with good facilities and a lovely view over the Shropshire hills.  We soon settled down in the camp chairs James had provided and enjoyed our evening drinks in lovely warm sunshine.

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 1,131 km (702 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0