Stenness - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2019

Stenness

We woke up to thick mist, similar to yesterday but today it seemed as if it would never lift.  We eventually got going after eleven thirty and rode through the mist up to Twatt, the first settlement on the road to Stenness.

The Twatt Church. Currently for sale.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After a short stop in Dounby, we carried on down to the famous Ring of Brodgar.  Probably its most impressive quality is the mysteriousness of it all.  The enormous stones here and further down the road plus all the structures linking them stretch back almost five thousand years.  It is inevitable that we will struggle to understand what it was all about.

The Ring of Brodgar.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then it was short ride to the dig that takes place at the Ness of Brodgar each summer.  The ceremonial and communal buildings here link the Ring of Brodgar to the Stones of Stenness.

The summer dig at the Ness of Brodgar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The summer dig at the Ness of Brodgar.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Stones of Stenness are fewer in number than those at the Ring of Brodgar but are possibly more imposing.

The Stones of Stenness.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We checked in to our very nice Airbnb outside the village of Stenness before four in the afternoon.  It is run by a Scottish lady with a very South African surname - her husband comes from Durban !  Very comfortable and we are enjoying a bit of luxury for the night.

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 2,656 km (1,649 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0