Birsay - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2019 to July 30, 2019

Birsay

The object of the first day at Birsay would be the famous neolithic village at Scara Brae.  It was a short cycle southwards to get there, punctuated with a stop at The Loons, an RSPB hide overlooking a marshy area.  No special sightings but a nice diversion none the less.

Scara Brae was, as expected, wall to wall tourists, relatively speaking of course because this is Orkney.  The visitors center was pretty crowded and didn't offer much more information than what we already knew.  The remains of the village are displayed quite well allowing one to see into the nine houses and what was assumed to be the workshop without putting them at risk.  Probably the most interesting bit was eavesdropping on a private guide who provided a lot more information to his clients than what we had previously managed to gain.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We made our way back to Birsay via Dounby and the quaintly named hamlet of Twat.

The second day was spent at Birsay itself.  First visiting the ruins of the Earl's Palace (built by Robert, the father of the Earl who built the Earl's Palace in Kirkwall, who was an illegitimate son of King James the 5th of Scotland).  Being a son of the King didn't save his own son and grandson from losing their heads.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we were done with the palace we moved across the small causeway to the Brought of Birsay, what is now a small island cut off from the mainland by the tides.  There is evidence of a Pictish settlement from the eigth century after which it was settled by Norsemen.  The ruins are of the Norse village and show houses and a church with related buildings.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The brought also produced some good birding although it was mainly the same species as at Dunnet Head and Duncansby.

Northern Fulmar
Heart 2 Comment 2
Mark BinghamWow! This is professional level photography!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 2,634 km (1,636 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0