Montrose - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2019

Montrose

With a very short ride planned for the day we didn't see any reason for getting away before midday.  Brenda, the campsite warden, was enthusing about what lovely weather we were having.  By this she meant that it hadn't rained in the passed hour and that the wind was below fifty kilometers an hour (by a handful of units).

We dawdled off into the howling wind which was coming from the south-west which was of course our direction for the day.   National Cycle Route 1 was just meters away from our campsite and the first few kilometers was on a lovely tarred path down to the pretty village of Gordoun's Harbour.  Here we enjoyed elevenses before carrying on southwards.

Gordoun's Harbour
Heart 1 Comment 0

The tarred path was replaced by an overgrown  cobbled footpath following an old railway line.  It was slow going to Johnshaven where we had our lunch sandwiches while we recovered from the battering.

National Cycle Route 1 starts getting a bit rough.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And then some more.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And is finally a bit difficult to find.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Johnshaven.
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was a steep climb out of Johnshaven up to the busy A92 but after a few kilometers we turned onto some back roads which would lead us all the way to Montrose.

As the road dipped down a steep hill, one we were pleased we were going down and not up, we chanced upon a Kiwi couple who were near the end of cycling from Athens to Aberdeen.  He was repairing a broken chain (yes, the climb was pretty stiff) and she was complaining about the weather.

Then it was onto Montrose which is a relatively ugly town when compared to some of the pretty villages we had passed through earlier.

She didn't look either way.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are camping at the South Links Holiday Park, situated right next to a pharmaceutical factory.  I can't see us hanging around here for too long.

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 2,857 km (1,774 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0