Levenwick - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2019

Levenwick

It was pretty dark by the time we cycled to the ferry terminal last night.

The ferry port at Kirkwall.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once on the boat, we found a place to lay our sleeping mats down without being in anyone's way - just below the screen in the mini-cinema!  We didn't sleep particularly well and woke up feeling as if we needed a good few hours more sleep.

A misty morning when we disembarked at Lerwick.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took our time leaving the ferry terminal in Lerwick.  We cycled down to the harbour where we ate breakfast bought at the Co-op near the ferry terminal.  Then we headed for the local leisure center where we heard it was possible to camp.  All we wanted to do was set up the tent and get a few hours more sleep.

On our arrival at the leisure center we were dismayed to hear that camping there had come to end more than six years ago.  This meant we would have to find somewhere else to spend the night.  Mentally we just weren't prepared for it but there was nothing else we could do.   We stopped in at the local Tesco and bought the most basic of groceries and set off southwards.  Why southwards ?  Heaven alone knows.  Lerwick is the furthest north I have been in my life - Leigh has been north of the Arctic Circle before - so crossing back over the sixty degree line was somewhat strange.

60 degrees north.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Quick lessons in Scots.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The climb out of Lerwick was pretty stiff but I guess we will have to get used to the hills on the Shetlands.  There was also quite a bit of traffic so it wasn't that pleasant.  We stopped for lunch on a hill overlooking the island of Mousa and the views were worth the less than pleasant ride.

The views across to Mousa.
Heart 0 Comment 0

However, the further southwards we traveled the lighter the traffic became and by the time we got to the community run campsite at Levenwick it was hardly an irritation at all.

The campsite here is pretty tired but they have big plans to rejuvenate it over the coming winter.  Still, there are level pitches on nicely mown lawn, hot showers and a very nice kitchen that reminds me of the refugios in Patagonia.  We could end up spending more than one night here because we aren't planning on rushing around the Shetlands.  The nearest shop is about seven kilometers away so if we do stay longer we will need to cycle there to stock up on groceries.

...

In the end it didn't take us long to decide to spend a few nights here so I hopped onto the bike and cycled down to the grocery store a few kilometers further south to stock up.  It has pretty much everything that we need.  There is also a tiny local store a few hundred meters from the campsite that stocks a few basics, most importantly fresh milk.  I foresee us spending quite a few days here just chilling and catching up with work.

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 2,732 km (1,697 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0