Levenwick - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

Levenwick

We arrived in Levenwick a week ago, unsure of how we would spend our time on the Shetlands but sometimes conditions just come together at the right time, even if all of them aren't positive. In the end we will have spent it all here at Levenwick.

The view of Levenwick from above the campsite.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Within a day of our arrival Leigh had come down with a heavy cold and this was as good a place to recover in as any.  The communal area at the campsite is a great place in which to sit and work so I have got a lot of work done.  The wind kept blowing from the north which made cycling to other areas less attractive so it was easier to catch the bus to get any shopping done.  Most of all, there usually comes a point on a tour when we want to put down roots for a week or so just to refresh ourselves.

St Ninian's Isle on the western side.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We're not the only ones vegetating here.  One chap, who has been travelling for the past five years, has been camping here for almost two months already.  This means there have been a few communal meals and a bit of wine drunk.  In many ways it is reminiscent of when we were stuck in Villa O'Higgins a year and a half ago.

I have had a few long walks.  Onto the hills above Levenwick so I could look down onto the western side of the island and have spent quite a bit of time bird watching along the clifftops east of the village.

Many of the visitors here are keen to see puffins but they mostly left already.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesI love puffins. Great shot.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen. I've had a great time photographing the puffins and fulmars.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
However, the Fulmars are still present in large numbers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Shetlands is sheep country.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have booked the Tuesday ferry back to Aberdeen and a room at a Travelodge in which to recover once we get there.  We must be getting soft.  

After that we have about three hundred kilometers back to Garvald from Aberdeen so we have plenty of time.

Today's ride: 14 km (9 miles)
Total: 2,746 km (1,705 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0