Lancing - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2019

Lancing

We managed to get away before nine o'clock this morning and made our way onto what we thought was National Cycling Route 2.  Unfortunately, we missed a turn somewhere and soon found ourselves struggling up a long and steep climb.  Not the best way to start the day.

The top of the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The downhill took us into the town of Seaford where we rewarded ourselves with a second breakfast of Scotch Eggs (breakfasts so far have been oats porridge).  This seemed to perk us up a bit and we soldiered on towards Brighton.  National Cycle 2 along this section seemed to have been designed to shield motorists from pesky cyclists and lead us up and down back undulating streets until just Brighton.  

Scotch eggs for second breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it rose and fell for a short way along the tops of the cliffs until we hit the Brighton Promenade and its famous pier.

The white cliffs of Brighton.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brighton Pier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brighton Pier.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunching along the promenade (just bananas and bread rolls - I guess we should have tucked into fish and chips) it was an ugly ride through an industrial sea front until we got to the village of Lancing where we are spending the night in a lovely little campsite called The Barn.  At fifteen quid it is cheaper by five pounds than the others in which we have camped so far yet has best facilities we have enjoyed so far, including free electrical outlets to charge our phones and PCs and even free Wi-Fi.

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 270 km (168 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0