Kirkcudbright - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2019

Kirkcudbright

The very pleasant lady at last night's campsite had suggested we visit a good example of a tower house that would be on our route today.  It was less than two kilometers from the campsite and set us up for easy access to the Old Military Road down to Castle Douglas.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

From Castle Douglas it was a quiet ride on an almost deserted road down to Kirkcudbright.  The past three days have been as free of traffic as any that we have enjoyed on this trip.  It makes slipping into one's own zone so much easier.  The hills come at you of their own accord and are soon left behind while the scenery is attractive enough to be pleasant but familiar enough not to intrude.

Today, just like yesterday, was almost completely cloudless. This meant we could ride in lovely warm summer conditions and the farmers could make hay while the sun shines. The smell of cut grass also trumps the smell of rotting cow dung.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kirkcudbright is the location of McCleland Castle, which Leigh can claim as her own.  We have views of it from out campsite on the hill above the little town.  I am waiting for the light to be from a better angle tomorrow morning so I can take some photos of it as seen from our campsite.

We are staying here for two nights.  This gives us a chance to rest a bit and visit the castle before we head back in a north-easterly direction to East Lothian.

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,632 km (1,013 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0