Kirkcudbright - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2019

Kirkcudbright

Last night was such a beautiful evening we couldn't resist having a braaivleis or BBQ.  The only practical way to do it here is to buy a single-use BBQ kit from the local grocery store so that is what we did.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kirkcudbright is quite a restful little town.  It has been a popular destination for artists since the nineteenth century and still has a number of galleries.  What struck me was the width of the streets - almost wide enough in which to turn a team of oxen which was the standard in African towns established during The Scramble for Africa .

Heart 0 Comment 0

However, the reason for coming to Kirkcudbright was to visit MacLennan's Castle, which Leigh claims as her own.  But timing can be a terrible thing.  If we had visited upon arrival in the town yesterday afternoon all would have been fine.  But it was closed from today for the next three days, for no apparent reason.  It was also in the process of renovated although to what extent we have no idea.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We paid a visit to the Tolhouse, built between 1625 and 1629 and served not only as the center for the collection of taxes, but also the council offices, the burgh and sheriff courts, the criminal prison and the debtors' prison.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0