Highampton - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2019

Highampton

We were the last of the cyclists out the gate this morning.  Kevin, the Aussie, was hoping to get to near Glastonbury today and he was the first out of the starting blocks.  Ivona, the Dutch lady left a few minutes before us heading southwards.  We got away a little past nine thirty and headed into the village of Camelford, first down then up, a process that would repeat itself quite often through the day.

Cold start to the day on the way out of Camelford.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once out of Camelford we rose up to the Bodmin Moor and enjoyed some wonderful cycling on mostly traffic free roads.

On the way up to Bodmin Moor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bodmin Moor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every family deserves one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even Dartmoor Ponies roaming wild.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I've been taken by the wild flowers along the way. Moments after taking this photo Leigh caught up to me (note that she is walking her bike!) and said "You seem to have stopped remarking about the wild flowers".
Heart 0 Comment 0


After the moor the roads continued to be quite empty and we passed through farmland and villages while we headed first northwards and then eastwards towards Holworthy.   On the way we crossed into Devon.  Thank goodness, we thought we would never get out of Cornwall.

Heart 1 Comment 0

At Holworthy we found a nice pub, the Kings Arms, and enjoyed a second lunch of hot chips washed down by a small beer before picking up our daily groceries at a local Co-op.  Then it was a slightly busier ride along an "A" road to a rustic campsite called "Hole Station Camping".  We have an secluded pitch in a forest with a small shelter.  All very rustic but quite different to anything else we have stayed in so far on this trip.  At 24 quid it is also the most expensive - we have mostly paid around 15 quid while a number of campsites have been as low as ten.  In different circumstances the price would be justified because we are wonderfully isolated and the forest is rich in bird life.  It is almost like camping in back in Africa.

Our campsite at Hole Station.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 662 km (411 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0