Hewas Water - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

Hewas Water

We woke up to to sound of rain at about six o'clock this morning.  This was enough to send me back to sleep.  I eventually surfaced at about nine o'clock but the rain was still coming down gently.  Leigh was taking this quiet time to get some work done.

Leigh's leg dressed with what looks like a sanitary pad.
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we did get going towards midday it was still raining and we were feeling pretty glum.  The first few kilometers were rather disorganised and after cycling up and down lanes and bridle paths for almost six kilometers we discovered we were only two kilometers away from where we had started.  Eventually we plotted a route towards Truro and headed off to the cathedral city.  The rain eventually stopped and the ride to Truro via Bissoe was very pleasant.

We took some time off in Truro to visit the cathedral and were quite suprised to discover that it is not particularly old at all, the foundation stone being laid in 1880.  Still it is classically beautiful and well worth a visit.

Truro Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Truro Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Truro Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With the help of Google we plotted the shortest bicycle friendly route towards St Austell.  Still, it included some kilometers along the A390, much of which had no shoulder.  We have realised that if we were to follow all the nice cycling routes through Cornwall we will never make it to John o'Groats.  I have also accepted that Cornwall has hills and sometimes it is best to walk my bike.  There are parts of Cornwall that are indescribably beautiful and the hills are a small price to pay.  One of those beautiful places was the village of Grampound through which we passed just before calling it a day at a campsite called Meadow Lakes.

Grampound High Street.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 552 km (343 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0