Garvald - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2019

Garvald

Today was our 21st wedding anniversary so we decided we would spoil ourselves with a full Scottish breakfast at the hotel that was within walking distance from the campsite.  

Enough energy on our plates to power us to the moon and back.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we endured ten kilometers of unpleasant cycling up the A68 before turning eastwards to East Lothian.  From here onwards it was lovely riding on quiet roads through farmlands and little villages.

With our anniversary in mind and knowing that Shiona enjoys bubbles, we stopped off in Gifford to pick up some Champagne and a couple of bottle of red wine.

Heart 1 Comment 3
Kathleen JonesNow that is what a bottle holder is for. Well done, and congrats on your 21st.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jean-Marc StrydomTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Mike AylingThose bike designers at Thorn are smart!

Mike Ayling Conference
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at Shiona and Rod's house soon after one thirty.  The afternoon was spent catching up.  The last time we saw one another was when they stayed with us five years ago when we still had a house at Schoenmakerskop.  The last time we stayed at their house near Garvald was fifteen years ago.  We plan to stay here until Monday and then again at the end of the trip before flying back to South Africa.  We feel so at home with Rod and Shi and it will be difficult to eventually drag ourselves away to carry on to John o'Groats.

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,860 km (1,155 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0