Lauder - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2019

Lauder

We escaped from the dreary campsite and headed to a nicer spot down the river where we could enjoy breakfast.  Scotch eggs and strawberries.  Not a usual combination.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We soon joined National Cycle Route 1 at a bridge that took us over and then next to the River Tweed which we followed until we reached the outskirts of Galashiels.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here we cut eastwards but first had a long stop at a sewerage works which are always good places to bird watch.  Apart from picking up a few of the more common species we hadn't yet seen on this trip we were also entertained by the gulls feeding on the ponds and hopping over the sludge agitators as they rotated like schoolkids hopping over a skipping rope.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Melrose is a pretty little town albeit quite touristy.  The main attraction seems to be the ruins of Melrose Abbey, the barely discernable ruins of the Roman fort just outside the town and the three bridges over the Tweed.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

From this point it was a bit of a hard slog northwards into a freshening headwind and roller coaster hills up to Lauder.

Tonight's campsite is about six kilometers north of Lauder, just off the A68.  We are going to have to travel about ten kilometers on it tomorrow.  At least we know what to expect.

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 1,824 km (1,133 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0