Dunkeld - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2019

Dunkeld

The plan for the next two days is to forget about the weather and to take it easy.  Today we planned to ride to Dunkeld and have a look at the old cathedral and tomorrow we head for Blair Castle where we plan to take a days break and spend a whole day visiting the castle.

Our route took us back in to Perth where, as we crossed the bridge over the River Tay, we met a Canadian lady called Sheenacycling on her own through Scotland. We had a long chat and had to drag ourselves away to join National Cycle Route 77 on our way northwards.

Crossing over the River Tay again.
Heart 0 Comment 0

About forty years ago, before I had any idea that the River existed or was in Scotland, I bought the Steeleye Span album "Below the Salt" which contains a song called "The Royal Forrester" which refers to the River Tay.  The final line of the song, which is about extra-marital congress, goes "She's the Earl of Airlie's daughter and he's the blacksmith's son".  Airlee lies about thirty kilometers east of Dunkeld.

The fellow chipping from the sand trap had to watch as his ball hit the pin and bounced out. Almost a perfect shot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We followed route 77 along the River Tay and onto the River Almond before heading northwards though the village it Pitcairn.  Then it was through farming country over some rolling hills.  The rain came chucking down about five kilometers before before Dunkeld and has done so intermittently since then.  Luckily the sun popped out just upon our arrical at Inver Hills Farm Caravan Park and we were able to set up comfortably.  The tarp went up again - it's much appreciated in this kind of weather.

Highland cattle have to be the coolest of bovines.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The old cathedral is not much to look at.  It has been in ruins for years and only the choir is in working condition.  The choir is used by the local Church of Scotland congregation and the knave is currently supported by scaffolding.  The area is rich in history.  The Battle of Dunkeld was an important part of Scotland's history where the Cameronites, under the leadership of Colonel William Cleland (perhaps a relative of Leigh's ?) defeated a large army of Jacobites.

Dunkeld Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dunkeld Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water droplets on the tarp.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 2,039 km (1,266 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0