Scone - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2019

Scone

The weather looked a lot better today than yesterday.  In fact a lot better than what the weather forecast said it would be. 

We started the day with a long gentle climb out of Dumfermline and soon bumped into a family of Swiss cycle tourists on their way southwards from Aberdeen.  The children varied in age from seven to twelve and this is their fourth cycle touring holiday in which all the kids are cycling.  They are doing about fifty kilometers a day.  I was so impressed.

The amazing Swiss cycle touring family.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A babbling brook soon after cresting the first climb of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Views northwards ... remind me once again of Griqualand East.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the climb it was mostly gentle cycling in nice weather down to Perth. Perth seems to be an attractive little city straddling the River Tay.

An interesting looking church in Perth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An interesting looking church in Perth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The River Tay.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just north of the city we made a short detour to look at Scone Palace ... from the outside.  It contains The Stone of Scone, used in the coronation of the monarchs of Scotland, and later the monarchs of England and those of the United Kingdom, Elizabeth II the last for whom, it was used.

Scone Palace.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our campsite, one of the Caravan and Camping Club sites, was just two kilometers further up the road.  It started raining as soon as we got there but soon stopped.  With the forecast for more rain we decided to setup our tarp for the first time.  We didn't get the setup completely right - the angle with respect to the door is out and we put it up upside down - but it was good practice for when we might need to use it later.  It gives us a lovely large sheltered area under which we can sit and cook.

Our new tarp.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,999 km (1,241 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0