Brean - The seventh step ... London to Edinburgh via Land's End and John o'Groats - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2019

Brean

We had enjoyed a late night chatting to Neil and Carleen.  Neil had cooked some lovely steaks and there was ample red wine to help it down.  They have been so kind and hospitable over the past few days but the risk is that we will become soft.  So today we had no alternative but to head north.

Bruiser, Neil and Carleen's dog was very sad to see us go.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started off by cycling into town to buy new cycling helmets.  We can't see the ones left behind on the train to Penzance ever being returned to us.  Rather suprisingly we found just what we were looking for.  After that it was onto National Cycle Route 3 towards Brdigewater following the route I had ridden yesterday.

WW II blockhouses line the canal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locks along the canal to Bridgewater.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Locks along the canal to Bridgewater.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather forecast for today wasn't promising.  North-easterlies of 30 km/h gusting up to 65 km/h and our route would take us into the teeth of the wind.  Rain was also predicted for most of the day with a maximum temperature of 13 degrees.  This was only the second day that we have had to struggle into a headwind so we can't complain too much.  Also, the rain held off with, at its worst, just a light but icy drizzle towards the end of the day.

The route was almost completely flat but it was pretty cold and the headwind meant we had to work hard all the time.  A short break for a sandwich in Brdigewater and a longer one for a plate of hot chips and a small beer in Huntspill were the only stops we made.  Then we pushed on past the rather dreary seaside town of Burnham-on-Sea to a campsite we had identified as a stop for the night near the village of Brean.  We had chosen it because it advertised a cafe where we could buy supper in case the weather was too bad to cook.  It turned out that teh cafe is closed on Tuesdays so we had to head into th4 village to find some food - a pint and a steak-and-ale pie with all the trimmings was a good choice for the cold evening.

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 875 km (543 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0