Day 52 - Monopoli to Ostuni via Alberobello - 9 1/2 Weeks - Copenhagen to Lecce 2019 - CycleBlaze

November 9, 2019

Day 52 - Monopoli to Ostuni via Alberobello

Yours Trulli

Our 'Mark of Zoro Ride' through Puglia  continued today as we started to work our way south east. To do this we had to ride through a few UNESCO world heritage sites and endless ancient olive groves with occasional glimpses of the Adriatic sea. 

It was rough.

Ok, smug comments are done. It was a really good day. Beautiful country with the said olive groves interspersed with vineyards, and the towns and villages, particularly the ancient centers, are everything the postcards promise. We did have a bit of a headwind and a reasonable amount of climbing today, but otherwise it was great cycling. For the first time since leaving Rome we also saw a number of roadies. It helped that it was Saturday but it also figures that this is a more populated area and is quite thick with weekenders and 'European expats'. Both K and I noticed that what looks like rural countryside on the maps is actually reasonably built out with acreages, for want of a Italian term.

We rode into, or up to, Alberobello just after noon and found the Trulli section. This is what gives Alberobello UNESCO status, and it is quite beautiful. At the same time however, it's fallen to the same pressures every other accessible 'amazing' place on the planet has, and in the process has become less 'amazing' . Since this is November (have I mentioned that before?) it was quite manageable but the thought of being here in August .... oh no.

If you want to see Trulli, get on your bike and ride any back / side road around here. They are everywhere, and being used for everything from housing farm tools to foreign tourists!

We hit Ostuni  well before the sun set, and good thing too! We booked a hotel in the 'old center' and just like every other town in southern Italy, your GPS gives you a general reference as to where your accommodation really is. Get into that general area and then start to hunt and peck to find the real thing. We did, and luckily, in fairly quick order found our hotel. Turns out there is another cycle touring group staying here too, we saw their bikes, not them. Another stroke of serendipity, one of the closest restaurants to us gets a thumbs up from Bibendum. We decided to go there, and the maps suggested it was within 200 m from us. Four turns down narrow streets, a couple of staircases, and we didn't have a clue where we were ... or where the restaurant was. Perseverance pays off though. Two more turns and one staircase and we stumbled into where we wanted to be. 

Great dinner, and the breadcrumb trail we left made the return journey much quicker.

Tomorrow we head to the east coast, with the forward plan to ride the coast to the tip of the heel and then come back north through Otranto with a spectacular finish in Lecce! the only wrinkle in the plan is that the weather forecast shows a very nasty storm arriving Tuesday through Wednesday (+25 mm rain and ~50 km/hr winds). We are trying to arrange things so that we are holed up somewhere comfortable for those days! However, that's a few days off ... which is a long time in cycle tour time.

Song of the Day, Clap Hands by Tom Waits. As we were walking through Alberobello past yet another trinket / souvenir shop, the wind blew some wooden chimes (that's Vietnam not Italy!!!) that were out for sale. The sound they made instantly triggered this song ... have a listen. The big difference though, is that Tom apparently used the bathroom sink pipes in his Greenwich village flat in this song, not some bourgeois wooden chimes!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Monopoli under a bright blue sky ... and bright blue boats
Heart 3 Comment 0
A very old gnarly olive
Heart 2 Comment 0
...and another one
Heart 2 Comment 3
Lyle McLeodTo Karin KaarsooYou are inferring that I was referencing your sister and not the adjacent old olive tree trunk? Perhaps you need to rethink who is thinking mean thoughts. It certainly wasn’t me 🧐
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Karin KaarsooTo Lyle McLeodI was expecting that response!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
very arid and lots of cacti
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the first time that K and I have spent the morning cruising through centuries old olive groves
Heart 2 Comment 0
We found a Pirate map that showed us where the Trulli were
Heart 3 Comment 0
finally into Alberobello .. the Disney Land of Trulli ... you have to work hard to get a picture like this without anybody else posing for selfies ... even in November! It is very beautiful and historically interesting so I can see why its a UNESCO site.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Today's combo - cacti and trulli
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kirsten thought that garden gnomes would feel very much at home here. We didn't bring any with us (surprised?) but we do have our little mascots who travel with us, stuffed in a small outside mesh pocket on our front bags, rain or shine. So Super Mom and Gordon G. Moneymaker got to check this out too! We picked these guys up over 10 years ago on a bike trip with the kids, Alison got Voodoo Girl and Callum was the Devil Baby, his sister insisted on that. I believe this is the first time we've used them in a pic.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just loved this entrance to a B&B - very quaint
Heart 4 Comment 0
looks like three little icing covered candies lined up for the Friendly Giant. You have to be over 50 and Canadian to understand the reference
Heart 4 Comment 0
The kitties weren't too skitty here
Heart 1 Comment 1
Glenna JefferiesFurface's twin!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Probably my favourite pic from today ... this actually fit right in at Alberobello!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kirsten hamming it up! Getting lunch, a couple of great bespoke sandwiches.With today's title, I'm taking a lot of liberty with bad puns!
Heart 1 Comment 0
... and here they are under construction ... pancetta, burrata and sun dried tomotoes!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pretty chilled out cat at our lunch spot
Heart 1 Comment 1
Glenna JefferiesItalian Hobbes!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Back on the road to Ostuni ... Trulli everywhere ... from 'working farm' ones to 'twee renovated' stockbroker ones
Heart 3 Comment 0
more of the Alberobello to Ostuni ride ... and Trulli
Heart 2 Comment 0
we had a really nice section of down hill with mostly new pavement - about 2 km's - it was great. The rest of the road was lets just say, uneven
Heart 2 Comment 0
nearing the end of the nicely graded downhill .. lots of fun
Heart 2 Comment 0
This one is more on the stockboker end of the scale
Heart 1 Comment 0
and when we checked into our hotel in Ostuni, we found that there is another small bike touring group staying here as well!
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from the roof top terrace at our hotel. This place is a maze of narrow streets and passageways. Three turns and you are lost!
Heart 3 Comment 0
... but you do have angels watching over you!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Good night from Ostuni!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 3,076 km (1,910 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0