What will the weather be like? - Lake to Lake Sitting on a Thorn - CycleBlaze

What will the weather be like?

Wouldn't we all like to know for sure exactly what the weather will be like on this tour? "Variable" is probably the safest prediction. The Snowy-Monaro region and Gippsland are very different geographically. They are big areas with different climates, so the weather will be changeable and predictably unpredictable.

Melbourne is famous in Australia for being able to have four-seasons in one day. 'Cold' is a word often associated with Canberra which sits at about 640 metres above sea-level.

In early spring I expect the Snowy-Monaro it be cold and dry, and that Gippsland to be temperate and wetter.

This ride is planned for early spring. A better time weather-wise would probably be early to mid-autumn. The route would be rideable at any time of year but mid-to-late summer, or mid-winter would be testing for obvious reasons. There is no 'no go' season but there are predictably better or worse times of the year.

The first section of the ride will be across typical Snowy-Monaro countryside. Day temperatures should be good for comfortable riding with maximums of 5-15 degrees C. Night temperatures will be frosty. Could be as low as -6 degrees C or lower. Snow is very unlikely at the elevations of the ride route. Snow covered mountains will be visible on parts of the ride, these are much higher than the planned route which doesn't cross any high passes.

Most of the riding in Gippsland will be within a coastal, maritime influence. That is, it is likely to rain. Much of the region is a verdant green with a reputation as being great for dairying. So, it is really likely to rain. Having said that, Bairnsdale stats are: mean max. 20 degrees C (68F), mean min. 8.2 degrees C (47F) per year with annual rainfall of 661 mm (26 in) so it shouldn't be too testing.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0