Vermillion, OH to Avon Lakes, OH - Anti-Clockwise Around Lake Erie - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2017

Vermillion, OH to Avon Lakes, OH

Day 1 - Tough Day

Overcast/Sunny/Raining

We started our trip by driving up from Louisville to our warmshowers host David where we would be leaving the car for a couple of weeks. Leaving home about 8 a.m. under overcast skies we drove up through Cincinnati and stopped for lunch at a Steak 'n Shake just short of Columbus, OH. 

Steak 'n Shake is Cameron's new all time favorite place to eat, but didn't see another on the whole bike trip.

As we passed through Columbus, we took a quick drive through the Ohio State campus for Cameron to get an idea on college life. The campus was huge, we will have to come back and visit next year.

We arrived at David's house about 2 pm and we were on the bikes by 2:20 p.m. heading on Hwy 60 north to Vermilion. The sun was out we had a tail wind and life was good on the start of our bike trip.

Arriving in Vermilion about 3 p.m., we checked out the lighthouse, took some photos and obtained the two lighthouse stamps. We would visit this same spot 2 weeks later to complete our circumference of Lake Erie.

A wooden tower was first built at Vermillion in 1870, however after seven years it was found to be decaying. A new cast iron lighthouse was erected in 1877. In 1929, the lighthouse foundation were undermined during an ice storm and the tower was leaning so the lighthouse was dismantled and replaced with a skeleton tower on the pier. The cast iron tower was hauled away and it was many years before the residents of Vermillion were to know its fate. Meanwhile a replica tower was built in 1991.

In 1935, the original tower was placed on Lake Ontario, off Cape Vincent at the entrance to the Saint Lawrence River, and named East Charity Shoal Lighthouse.

Vermilion Lighthouse (Replica).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vermilion Lighthouse (Replica).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vermilion Lighthouse (Replica).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vermilion Lighthouse (Replica).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vermilion Lighthouse (Replica).
Heart 0 Comment 0

I found out after our trip that the lighthouse keepers home was on the corner of Grand and Liberty and is now a hair salon.

Vermillion lighthouse keepers home. From google.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our stop in Vermillion, we headed east on Lake Shore Blvd, Hwy 6 towards Lorain where we had pre-booked a boat tour out to the Lorain Lighthouse.

Behind us we could see threatening skies and we thought we could out run the black clouds. However it didn't take long for the storm to catch us. First there was a light rain so we put on our rain jackets and kept peddling. Quickly the light rain turned into a downpour so we took refuge under a store veranda.

Rain
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a 10 minute wait the rain eased off so we headed out but then had to contend with giant puddles in the bike lane and shoulder.

It wasn't long before the skies opened up again and this time we sought refuge under the veranda of a bank in the drive up ATM lane.

When the rain eased off we left the bank and headed to Lorain. We had a 5 p.m. boat tour to the Lorain Lighthouse however I somewhat doubt that a) we would make it there on time and b) that the trip would actually be still on.

We reached Lorain at 5:05 p.m. and as suspected the trip had been cancelled. I got a refund and was able to get a photo of the Fresnel Lens on display. In my haste I forgot to get my stamp so I will need to send them a message and see if they will mail one to me.

Lorain Lighthouse Lens
Heart 0 Comment 0

I decided not to try and bike out to the shoreline to try and get a distant photo of the lighthouse as the rain had stopped as we were told another heavy downpour was on its way.

We made it as far as Sheffield Lake before the next downpour caught up with us so this time we sheltered at a Rite Aid. This new band of rain looked like it was staying around and our hotel was still another 12 to 15 miles away so I got on the phone and found a new hotel only 4 miles away. Cancelled the first one and booked the new one and about 5 minutes later there was a break in the rain. Let’s make a run for it.

Checked into the hotel, got dried off and looked outside and it was pouring again. Good decision.

Showers and a delivered pizza and it was off to bed.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 miles (45 km)
Total: 28 miles (45 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0